Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
What do you think? They are asking $150.00 for this guy...Obviously we have some pyramiding, but severity? I'd love some opinions please.

image-2000150742.png

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
It looks very pyramided, and un-happy.
It shouldn't be kept on hay or in such a small area.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Jacob, he's severely pyramided and I would suggest it's from the hay substrate...Ya might want to buy him just to save his life...if you have the money that is...

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Wow! He looks so sad and dry! Save that little guy, if you can that is. He should clean up nicely.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
pugsandkids said:
What do you think? They are asking $150.00 for this guy...Obviously we have some pyramiding, but severity? I'd love some opinions please.

View attachment 20878

I'd offer $100 that way the remaining $50 goes to shipping... But he'll be great, but you have work on your hands since the pyramiding is so pronounced. Heck i'd take him for the cost of shipping to try to rehabilitate him & maybe be a breeder or just a long time friend =]

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I want him, hubby is not up for paying for him (since he'll need work). I've emailed them, asking if they have a close up pic. I will keep you all posted.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I have a worse sulcata but she is sooooo nice and a loving girl.. that being said I did NOT pay for her, I would take into count that if he/she is sick there will be vet bills.. but then again I always end up taking them any way ;) Really if you have the time there will be a reward and he/she will show it sooner or later.. it took a month for Bertha to warm up to me but now I love her ALOT... even with her horrible shell
tort001-1.jpg

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I offered $50, she declined stating that "babies are $100, and he comes with stuff". I asked her to keep me in mind :)
If anyone else is interested in him, and willing to offer more please do. He needs a new home!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
BrookB,
wow I hadn't seen yor girl before. I just can't stop looking at her. It is so pronounced! (I know it wasn't your doing)
Now did she have MBD also, or was it just pyramided?
Not that I have alot of experience with it, but dosen't that make a 'dip' in the shell?
Bizarre. and kudos to you.
Sarah, hold tight, you never know when you may get the call. help please take him.
Nay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pugsandkids said:
I offered $50, she declined stating that "babies are $100, and he comes with stuff". I asked her to keep me in mind :)
If anyone else is interested in him, and willing to offer more please do. He needs a new home!

Maybe you could explain the condition she is in and that they are not suppose to look like that and that she will need lots of care to get her healthy again. I would also send them a pic of what a healthy one is suppose to look like. Make it sound like it wasn't their fault, that a lot of bad info was given years ago and that we know better now. However, that we also know now that one looking like that is a unhealthy and very unhappy sulcata. Also, if the stuff that comes with her is worth the money, then look at it as if your getting a free tort, that you can rescue from a horrible life. I am sure if someone that is not a member of TFO, gets her, they won't properly care for it either. One last thing, if they won't come down to what you can pay, ask them to tell the new owners about TFO and that it would be very helpful for them to check into it. Good luck.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
BrookeB said:
I have a worse sulcata but she is sooooo nice and a loving girl.. that being said I did NOT pay for her, I would take into count that if he/she is sick there will be vet bills.. but then again I always end up taking them any way ;) Really if you have the time there will be a reward and he/she will show it sooner or later.. it took a month for Bertha to warm up to me but now I love her ALOT... even with her horrible shell
tort001-1.jpg

#WoW! That's an amazing photo, & Bertha is gorgeous.... Poor little thing & her shell, but I'm the same way I cannot stop staring. I don't think I've ever seen them that pronounced... But I bet you got her in the best of health now & you two must be happy with one another :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Wellington, that's a great way to phrase it! She had countered with $100 for the tort only. I'll keep y'all posted.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
I'm wondering, when someone is openly selling a tortoise in that condition, can the humane society, animal control, or even the ASPCA do anything about the situation? If a pet owner is starving a dogm or if a horse owner is not keeping their horse on suitable living condition, the law can most definitely intervene, so are pet tortoises considered less worthy or less important? I guess I don't even know what word to use in this situation. I would be inclined to force that tortoise owner to give up the tortoise on grounds of animal abuse. Perhaps I am naive.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises are not considered less worthy, just that there is no uniform care guidelines like dogs and cats and horses. To be honest I personally would not want some bureaucrat coming in and judging whether or not I am a good keeper.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Tortoises are not considered less worthy, just that there is no uniform care guidelines like dogs and cats and horses. To be honest I personally would not want some bureaucrat coming in and judging whether or not I am a good keeper.

I would have to agree with you on keeping the already big government at bay. I wish there was some way to stop senseless cruelty to any animal.

I sure hope this sad little tortoise finds its way into a sensible and caring home.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hope no one thinks I am pro animal cruelty or anything,I am not, but I think there has to be a way to protect animals and people's freedoms, when I think of something I will let you know.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Good grief! Someone needs to save this poor tort! Sometimes I just hate people with a passion! Learn how to care for your animals for god's sake! Hope you can work something out for this poor tort! :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
I know the tortoise is pyramided, and also that it is an undesirable characteristic that may be a result of less than ideal care. However, I also have lots of healthy tortoises that have some pyramiding and are no worse for the wear today. I think if you purchase this tortoise and do right by it, s/he could live a happy and long life in your care if pyramiding is the only issue. While pyramiding can be indicative of a less than optimal environment, I would be more concerned about other health issues stemming from (potential) poor husbandry. Ask for nostril close ups and weight-length ratios, although gross and possibly taboo even a picture of a fecal sample can say a lot about a tortoises health. I am not saying that the pyramiding isn't tragic and sad, because it is, just that it is not necessarily an absolute deal breaker for me personally when getting a new shelled friend. If you think you can make this animals situation better, I hope you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.