Cracking in shell

EveCastle

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Hello,

I’ve had my Sulcatas Tortoise for a couple years now. We got him from a previous owner so he was a decent size to begin with but he’s pushing 40lbs now and recently I’ve noticed some cracking in the shell. Is this a concern? How should I treat it?

D01B8B92-FFC1-4DE3-8864-C509ABFC245E.jpeg 372391DE-74CD-47FA-8FFA-9867CE574BDC.jpeg BBBE940A-3F7C-41F8-831C-70C9498362A2.jpeg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
From the pictures you have posted, it appears to be the result of growth, not a negative health issue.

Sometimes growth does not occur evenly. Do you use some kind of 'conditioner' on the shell, or is it shinny/reflective from water?

I'm a north county neighbor.

EveCastle

San Diego CA
It’s reflective from water in the photo. It’s been raining here the past couple of days. I have heard coconut oil could help remedy the dry sections but wanted to learn more before I try it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I'm seeing the two areas you're concerned about - it's the space behind the second scute from the front on both sides, right? That's not normal, but I don't think it's a health issue, but more being influenced by outside concerns. . . like he's trying to squeeze through an area a bit too small and scraping his sides????? By all means, rub some coconut oil into the areas, but be sure to polish off the excess.