Small cracks in Sulcata shell

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello! I'm new to the forum. We are in Ohio and have had a 10 yr old male sulcata for 2 yrs now. He has some pyramiding. He was only 4 lbs when we got him and is now is 32 lbs. We gave him a larger enclosure, better diet, humidity, and UV. He has always seemed very active and strong. As he has been growing his shell is a little sunken in the back. Also, one of the times he was climbing the walls of enclosure and fell on his back he chipped and minorly cracked his shell in one spot. We soak him in warm water and walk him outside 3-4 times a week. Recently we have noticed his shell having a lot of small surface cracks in it and a little peeling in a couple spots. Should we be concerned?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It's probably nothing to be concerned about, but can we see pictures please?

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Ohio
Have tons of pics. I need to get a closer one or two of the shell and then will post. Thank you!

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Ohio
IMG_20150719_181519003.jpg IMG_20150719_171142176.jpg IMG_20150719_181508394.jpg IMG_20150719_171428187.jpg IMG_20150719_181747225.jpg IMG_20150719_171404313.jpg IMG_20150719_171301307.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150719_181519003.jpg
    IMG_20150719_181519003.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22

Alaskamike

South Florida
I looked very closely at the photos you supplied. Those almost look more like scratches, but without seeing the tort in person it is hard to tell from the photos. Something is certainly going on. Is there something in his environment he crawls under or through that would scratch his shell up?
From your initial description it sounds like he lives mostly indoors, and you take him outside for a time 3-4 times a week? I lived in Indiana and know it is cold in the winter for sure.

To me, it looks like his shell is very dry, maybe from overhead lamps in an indoor enclosure?. If this is how he is kept, under lamps inside, you cannot totally mitigate the drying out of the caprice with soaks a few times a week. If you do not have a high humidity environment - its just the home humidity, he will dry out that shell daily.

You might try rubbing Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on his shell. There is a thread on this in the "Debatable Topics" area. Read it and see what you think. There is good indication this can counteract the drying effects of lamps - and reduce the over proliferation of keratin to counteract dehydration which results in pyramiding of the shell.

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thank you so much for your information on this. It may be a combo of dryness and scratches. I have been removing rocks from the enclosure that he may injure his shell on but will recheck his hide box for rough edges. I have noticed it being less humid in there the last few months, despite spraying and sometimes pouring water onto the substrate. I do have organic unrefined virgin coconut oil and will read up on this as well. What percentage should the humidity remain at?

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Diffidently scratches from things like wire or branches.

Frankie tried snuggling with some chicken wire once and it looked exactly like those. He also tried to crawl under a car once and got a shell gouge mark.

Gave Frankie a shell wash, just a little soap, rinse and most looked better.

It was my fault for leaving things around that scratch his shell so I am careful to look for possible problems.

I never put any type of oil on Frankie's shell. Scratches are just the way of a sulcata world. Over time they look better.