Covering aquarium sides, what do you use?

M249saw

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville,Florida
Since I'm pulling the substrate in my 20g long I figured I would redo the outside as well. I'm currently using black construction paper on the back and sides, from the bottom all the way to the top.

Does anyone have any better ideas and would you recommend covering the whole front as well or just high enough so it's just a little over my hatchling's head?

Thanks,
Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyle:

You can use whatever pleases you. We've used newspaper, butcher paper, felt, shelf liner. I only cover a few inches. Just where he can't see out.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
If you are heating the inside of tank I would suggest insulating your tank by getting a sheet of 1/2 inch styrofoam cutting it to fit outside of tank and over your construction paper and use rubberbands hooked together to make one long one and use it to hold the styrofoam against tank. I use a sheet of styrofoam under my tank as well and helps to hold heat in and my CHE which is attached to a heat controller does not cycle thru as often. Disregard if heating your tank is not necessary for you.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
The styrofoam I use is white in color and can buy it at Home Depot, lowes or other home improvement stores you can get a 4'x8' sheet or buy a pack of 2' x3' . It is the same material that styrofoam cups are made out of.. It cuts
Easily using a razor knife and straight edge.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I've used the aquarium landscape paper that's designed for the backs of fishtanks (cut down to about 4 inches high). Not sure if they make it anymore but it sure beats boring construction paper or newsprint