Yikes ! Mold/mildew on log hide

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Just noticed this am some kind of mold or mildew on the front corners of Sheldons log. I immediately took it out and took out the Zoomed forest floor underneath in that corner. Leveled out the rest and gave him a coffee cup for a temporary hide. I did not see or smell anything unusual with the substrate I took out. I was planning on getting more forest floor after work on my way home and just replacing the entire
thing. We set up the tank November 15, his humidity is 60-80's and the temps are
low 70's at night, mid 80's in the day.
Should I stay with using Forest floor ?
He seems fine. Eyes and nostrils look fine. Hopefully I caught this before its a problem. I saw a few posts about mildew already, so I'm thinking that this is a common problem ?Thxs~

Attachments

• 2014-12-03 05.31.10.png
    2014-12-03 05.31.10.png
    621.4 KB · Views: 35

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Great, I love clay pots, nice color. Bust it in half ? I get sideways, so
do I attempt this in the Home Depot parking lot in case I screw up the first one ? Then I can go buy another one for another try ?
Thxs for your reply ~

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Don't worry too much about this kind of mold; spray it down with 10% bleach and let it dry completely, then wire brush off the residue.
Clay pots are fine but eventually the tortoise is going to push them all over the place. Check with a local nursery and see if they have already broken pots for cheap, or free.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Thanks for the ideas. I was just pretty much freaked I didnt want any respitory issues with my little guy. How often should the substrate be changed

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Breaking a clay flowerpot perfectly simply wont happen, but you'll get the general shape. I also like the idea above about the pre-broken ones. (I cheat and use an electric tile saw.) If you use orchid bark, I've never had it get moldy. So, spot change only when needed as needed.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Ok, thxs. Ive tried breaking concrete pavers and there was no way to get a straight line. I will ask if we have a saw, if not I will use a hammer strategically ! I will avoid wood in the future.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Thanks for all your help. I got the flower pot. I actually bought one a bit too big, so I buried half and didnt break it. I will get a smaller one today.
I got orchid bark, but I would be okay with that for outside use.
Im not sure I want the smell in the house. I went to a pet store and had only 2 choices, Reptibark or Coco soft - I choose the Coco soft.
Apparently it comes either coarse or fine, the package was fine texture.
Wow, Sheldon likes it. You can tell, he has a little spring in his step.
He walks around, burrows in it. He didnt do that with the forest floor.
He even pushed the water bowl & the pot. My little 2 oz guy is strong !!
Thanks for all your help and advice !

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am still amazed at how strong these little critters are!!! ;)