Wood in corners

lautanner

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello. I keep reading about putting pieces off wood in sharp corners of habitats to prevent flipping. Can anyone provide a picture of this for me so I can see how to do it? Thank you.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I don't know about putting wood there to prevent flipping specifically, but you definitely should put something there to prevent the tortoise from using the corner to climb out of the enclosure. Especially if you have one of the smaller varieties that love to climb. And they do often end up on their backs if they fall while climbing...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. I keep reading about putting pieces off wood in sharp corners of habitats to prevent flipping. Can anyone provide a picture of this for me so I can see how to do it? Thank you.
This is also known as "capping the corners." As Michael explained, it is to prevent escape, not flipping.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What is your enclosure made of ? If glass them you need to block the view out. If wood already you can get sticky back plastic and line the inside edge. I can not see wood helping as it will get a grip and use the top to stand up in rear legs. Suggest you show a picture of the enclosure so we can advise. When I had hatchlings I had to remove flipping hazards and went for low stones. The good news is they put grow it when they get bigger and wiser and also learn to self right!

Last edited: