Convince me not to get an Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Hey all, I've been admiring the Aldabras for a while and would love to raise one. I am from Minnesota and have a small yard. I am sure it is a bad idea to get one - please convince me that it is.

Currently I raise Pardalis Pardalis Leopards. I have raised my breeding pair from hatchlings. My female is 10 years old, my male 7. This is my third year with hatchlings. I do this almost fully indoors. My female lays all her eggs indoors as well (just laid 12 eggs two nights ago). My point is that I think I do a pretty good job of raising healthy tortoises, but an Aldabra is a different deal. If I got one I would trade or sell my breeding pair of PP Leopards and would build a winterized outdoor enclosure.

Also, it seems that diet is quite different between the two. My leopards eat mostly orchard grass - cheap and easy to get. Aldabras eat mostly fresh veggies/plants/fruits? That would mean that the cost of feeding an Aldabra would be much higher (even if they were not giants).

Go ahead - let me have it!

Thanks,
Ben

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben, and welcome to the Forum!

I received two male hatchling Aldabran tortoises a short time after they hatched in 2000. It is now 13 years later, and one of them weighs over 200lbs. I can't imagine raising these giants indoors.

My Aldabran tortoises don't do a whole lot of walking, like a Russian tortoise does. They don't pace the perimeter of their pen like the sulcata does. But what they do do is eat. They come out in the morning and eat. They also like to sit in their waterer. I have one that sits in his water most of the day.

In my opinion, no one should buy a tortoise unless they are able to provide the tortoise with what it needs to be a happy, healthy tortoise. Would you consider raising a cow indoors? This is the same thing. Aldabran tortoises pee gallons and their poop is huge. They need the sun and they need to be outside grazing on grasses and weeds.

I just re-read your post and it seems you are planning to have the tortoises outdoors with a winterized shed. This is how I have my tortoises set up too. The two of them are in a yard that is about 80' long and 30' or so wide (it is irregular shaped and hard to measure). I have to mow their pen a couple times during the summer (meaning they don't eat all the grass growing in there, so the yard is probably big enough for them). They have a large, well-insulated shed to retire to and they use it on their own. During the winter, they come and go as they please.

If your yard is big enough for them and you aren't worried about keeping them warm in the winter, go for it. Mine eat a bit of orchard grass hay. Not their favorite thing, but they will eat it. They also eat Mazuri Tortoise Diet. It might be expensive keeping your tortoises warm and fed in the Minnesota winter, but it sounds like it may be doable (if your yard is big enough).

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne,

No i would not raise a cow indoors - good analogy! But I would not raise him indoors - I would keep him indoors for the first few years in the winter but have him outdoors in the spring/summer/fall when it is warm enough. My only option once they got too big would be to have a fully winterized shed for them so that i would not have to bring them in - but that still might not be big enough.

If folks have done this I would love to hear - and if they have failed trying - I need to hear that too!

Ben

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Excellent info and advice Yvonne…I think some of the new comers to the hobby and or a new species intake…soon forget with multi animals and or larger species comes automatically more waste material . With my Reds’ n Cherries’ both pretty good size groups in numbers …there is an hour a day spent cleaning up poop! I like the analogy of the cow! For the OP …. I use to raise sullies, every corner of the rear of the house had bashed in stucco ….absolutely everything 2 feet down on plants “gone”….One funny story …during one of the years of sullie keeping a large 120 pound Male broke thru it’s barrier wall into the “people garden” which was n full swing …with veggies and fruit . I think you know the rest …….returning home from work….*POOF* One big happy tortoise sitting in my smashed , bashed and empty veggie garden. I think I ate noodles for a year! :rolleyes:

I think Greg (Aldabraman) would be the main man to talk with too!

JD~:)

ben awes

5 Year Member
I really only want 1 Aldabra, but would consider 2 if everyone feels strongly that companionship is important.

How big is your outdoor shed Yvonne?

I am used to poop - I get that. I don't know Aldabra poop, but my leopards can drop a pile as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Aldabran shed is about 8' x8'. I'll go get a picture of it and be right back.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ben awes said:
I really only want 1 Aldabra, but would consider 2 if everyone feels strongly that companionship is important.

How big is your outdoor shed Yvonne?

I am used to poop - I get that. I don't know Aldabra poop, but my leopards can drop a pile as well.

leo crap x 10 = Aldabra
Other things to consider .......when it gets 150 -200 and over pounds ..you will need means to move it . On dirt and grass ... dolleys' don't work unless modified...if you have the funds buy a fork lift!

Don't get me wrong .. I LOVE THAT SPECIES .....and I wish you luck in your adventures!.....I have wanted one myself for a long time ..but reminders of the past with large torts....has kept my urge at bay...for the time being...;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok. I'm standing with my back at the fence that separates the Aldabrans from the pond and looking the length of the pen:

08-02-13a_zps90454f23.jpg

And while I was standing there I heard a bunch of splashing behind me. When my big bullfrog has to jump in the pond he's frantic to get back out because he knows that the turtles will eat him. You can see him sitting on the wood just under the elephant ear plants:

08-02-13b_zps541ea8f8.jpg

And here's the shed. The right half is dedicated to the Yellowfoot tortoises. The left half is for the Aldabrans:

08-02-13c_zps8dd2bf3c.jpg

This is SO, he's a little over 200lbs:

08-02-13e_zps7120600d.jpg

And this is why you should always pick up your pig blankets after winter is over. The heavy tortoises have broken off a piece at the edge and now I'll have to discard it and buy a new one:

08-02-13d_zps5766df38.jpg

ben awes

5 Year Member
I'm with you. I understand that the most important thing is the well being of the animal - not me. That does not however, diminish my desire for one of these black beasts! They are awesome.

Regarding moving them - I think a modified dolly would be the way to go. I've got a welder and plasma cutter, I think I could figure that out.

I am most concerned about size of enclosure and cost of food on a daily basis. I realize that orchard grass would not be their favorite, but i have heard the same from many Leopard keepers. But, if that is what they are feed, they come to love it, and it is the best diet for them.

Would a predominantly hay diet be bad for Aldabras?

Ben

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Love the pics!
Yvonne, isn't there also a concern about keeping tortoises native to warmer climates in colder weather areas? That they won't get as much outside time, and have to huddle in the sheds more of the year (even if there are UV lights...)?
In your area, they can get outside a fair amount of time.
It is certainly easier to accommodate smaller tortoises in the North, anyway.
Just a thought.

ben awes

5 Year Member
GREAT PICS! Thanks Yvonne. I am surprised at how much grass remains. My Leopards are constant edge walkers and turn the ground to dirt in no time. Your SO is awesome. Congrats on your whole set up. Must be great fun! That's what I want - but could not give quite that much space to them, not without moving myself!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A big tortoise can stay out in the cold for a much longer time than a smaller one can. If the ground/weeds/grass isn't covered with snow, the Aldabran tortoises might be able to go outside daily and forage around for their food. So the size of the shed wouldn't really matter because they would go outside. Mine do.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Aladabras are cold hardy. When I went to Mauritius, I witnessed many of these giants close up. Let me tell you now, they will produce as much poo as a small pony. Depending on subspecies, they can get up to 250 kg! As an adult, they will need at least a good half an acre of meadow style grass, possibly more. They can also be very destructive, one of the keepers at a place I went to had had an adult aladabra break the old wooden shed they used for overwintering and cold nights, as he decided to take the most direct route outside, rather than using the door lol. You really need bricks rather than wood to contain them. Think Sully strength and then think even stronger. They are very docile and relaxed most of the time though. They seem to have a diet similar to an Indian star with a bit more fruit, love grazing but also take in fruit and weeds. The staple for the aladabras they had was sugar cane, supplemented by native weeds-remember this is Mauritius, so similar flora to the Seychelles-, figs, and papaya. With this care, the majority of them had been grown to adults without a bump of pyramiding. It is not a light hobby to start, but people have done it successfully in cold climates. There are a few in the UK who keep them.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
Aladabras are cold hardy. When I went to Mauritius, I witnessed many of these giants close up. Let me tell you now, they will produce as much poo as a small pony. Depending on subspecies, they can get up to 250 kg! As an adult, they will need at least a good half an acre of meadow style grass, possibly more. They can also be very destructive, one of the keepers at a place I went to had had an adult aladabra break the old wooden shed they used for overwintering and cold nights, as he decided to take the most direct route outside, rather than using the door lol. You really need bricks rather than wood to contain them. Think Sully strength and then think even stronger. They are very docile and relaxed most of the time though. They seem to have a diet similar to an Indian star with a bit more fruit, love grazing but also take in fruit and weeds. The staple for the aladabras they had was sugar cane, supplemented by native weeds-remember this is Mauritius, so similar flora to the Seychelles-, figs, and papaya. With this care, the majority of them had been grown to adults without a bump of pyramiding. It is not a light hobby to start, but people have done it successfully in cold climates. There are a few in the UK who keep them.
EXCELLENT INFO! .......5 stars! :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I think the main problem is diet, as you have to get a lot of food for these guys. Has anybody got pics of a smooth US/UK/Canadian/German/French/Italian or any other northern hemisphere kept aladabra raised from a hatchling to an adult? With such a limited range, their diet is very restricted and really I think you'd have to get some of the native Seychelles plants in to help with diet. Mind you though, you could make a very good botanical display :)

Also, if you want to become a weightlifter, then 250kg will give you a good challenge lol! ;)

ben awes

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
A big tortoise can stay out in the cold for a much longer time than a smaller one can. If the ground/weeds/grass isn't covered with snow, the Aldabran tortoises might be able to go outside daily and forage around for their food. So the size of the shed wouldn't really matter because they would go outside. Mine do.

Yvonne, how big is your outdoor pen? did you say already - can't find it? I know that bigger is better, but 1/2 acre? that's pretty big - 150' x 150'. Not many that much space!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ben …Yvonne is ONE keeper and a very experienced one at that! But with all this input you seem to get very defensive of the answers you are receiving. Super… you can weld , have raised Leo’s …ect.. It’s just with these gentle giants ..it’s a whole different ballgame. Just because one keeper has a routine , enclosure size ect … does not mean it is the best for the animal . Take in info from all sources but try not to compare inputted answers. There are several well versed keepers of this wonderful animal ...and as Flint mentioned "not the average captive tort to maintain" ....Honest Minnesota ? I live in So. Cal and worry about my RF's getting cold ..and a $400 a month elec bill to show for it .

ben awes

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Ben …Yvonne is ONE keeper and a very experienced one at that! But with all this input you seem to get very defensive of the answers you are receiving. Super… you can weld , have raised Leo’s …ect.. It’s just with these gentle giants ..it’s a whole different ballgame. Just because one keeper has a routine , enclosure size ect … does not mean it is the best for the animal . Take in info from all sources but try not to compare inputted answers. There are several well versed keepers of this wonderful animal ...and as Flint mentioned "not the average captive tort to maintain" ....Honest Minnesota ? I live in So. Cal and worry about my RF's getting cold ..and a $400 a month elec bill to show for it .

Wow! not defensive at all. I am just trying to gather info. And yes, I am in Minnesota - honest! 1/2 acre is a lot and it's not being defensive to say so. Of course I am going to compare responses - that's what we do when trying to make a plan and a decision. How about letting the conversation unfold before attacking me. And it does matter that I have experience with Leo's - and in a cold climate. Am I not allowed to let people know that I have experience? I think the point about weight and difficulty moving them is a great one - can I not comment about how I might deal with that? Sheesh!

Just trying to have a useful dialogue here.

Ben

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I personally would not want to house a large animal in a cold snowy climate all winter. I don't think its fair to them to live in a shed or basement all winter. It CAN be done.. but I just don't think its ideal..
But if you can build a big enough one and afford to heat it and take precautions for power outage etc...then give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.