Confused !! (Conflicting info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
Hello,

I know this is boring stuff for the experienced, but I’m a newbie. I am becoming frustrated because every time I read something and try to do it right, I read the opposite, not here but some other random papers etc. . Example. I know the baby sulcata needs high humidity, and it was recommended to keep a humid substrate and soak, spray the tort to keep it moist. Then I read for sulcatas you need to keep them really dry, no humidity, no wet soil W..??. Ok, dirt and clay are good I read here, I read those are terrible somewhere else ? I have been spraying my enclosure to keep a mild moist environment. I guess if you have experience you can just see through the baloney, but for a newbie it really has me confused. The same list goes on for what to feed them.. It’s crazy...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Confused !!

That other stuff you are reading is old and outdated incorrect pyramiding causing care sheet. I went through the same thing when I first got my leopard. I then found this forum and Toms threads with his proof to back it up and I didn't look any further then here for help. Give your brain a break and read the other stuff to know what not to do, read the stuff on here, to know what to do. There are more then one correct way, however, I stick to what works and has proof to back it up. Have not been impressed with what people call smooth doing it the hot and dry way.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: Confused !!

I agree with Barb. There's a lot of outdated stuff out there, and none has pictures to back up their care sheets. Stick with TFO and the hot, humid way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!

wellington said:
That other stuff you are reading is old and outdated incorrect pyramiding causing care sheet. I went through the same thing when I first got my leopard. I then found this forum and Toms threads with his proof to back it up and I didn't look any further then here for help. Give your brain a break and read the other stuff to know what not to do, read the stuff on here, to know what to do. There are more then one correct way, however, I stick to what works and has proof to back it up. Have not been impressed with what people call smooth doing it the hot and dry way.

Thank you, that helps with my confidence anyway. So you pretty much recommend the info here and just stick with it. Seams like a lot of great knowledge and people here. I think you are right, I need to stop just googling topics, that is where I get into trouble with all the conflicting information. I’ll follow the experts plans here as directed..
Thank you.

WillTort2

5 Year Member

If you have specific questions it helps to provide a photo of your enclosure and your tortoise.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I'm sorry man. The tortoise world is undergoing a bit of a revolution right now. Some people haven't caught the wave yet. For about two decades everyone thought of sulcatas as "desert" animals based on incorrect assumptions. We now know better and are trying to spread the word and demonstrate, but there are still some old sites and some old timers who disagree. Just saw an ad yesterday for a very expensive pyramided tortoise that was described as having a "perfect shell". Raising the, hot and dry will result in slow growing pyramided tortoises. Raising them warm, humid and hydrated will make them grow smoothly and at a normal rate. I have lots of experience doing it both ways and many variations in between, and have the pics to prove both.

Try asking the people who advocate the dry methods to show you pics of year old hatchlings they've raised that way. Then compare to the pics on this site and you decide who is right.

There is a lot of info in my signature that will explain some of these concepts in more detail for you.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!

Tom said:
I'm sorry man. The tortoise world is undergoing a bit of a revolution right now. Some people haven't caught the wave yet. For about two decades everyone thought of sulcatas as "desert" animals based on incorrect assumptions. We now know better and are trying to spread the word and demonstrate, but there are still some old sites and some old timers who disagree. Just saw an ad yesterday for a very expensive pyramided tortoise that was described as having a "perfect shell". Raising the, hot and dry will result in slow growing pyramided tortoises. Raising them warm, humid and hydrated will make them grow smoothly and at a normal rate. I have lots of experience doing it both ways and many variations in between, and have the pics to prove both.

Try asking the people who advocate the dry methods to show you pics of year old hatchlings they've raised that way. Then compare to the pics on this site and you decide who is right.

There is a lot of info in my signature that will explain some of these concepts in more detail for you.
Thanks Tom,
I don’t need confirmation, I have your confidence. I do have a current issue of how to keep my sulcata properly nourished. It seams he only eats lettuce and I know thats not good. Does anyone recommend the Mazuri food for torts that are eating less than proper home grown foods.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Mazuri is great! Also Zoo Med is good too. I use both with my Darwin but nothing will replace a good natural diet but try to tell that to a hard headed Sully. Haha! Mine gets on kicks to where he only likes certain things then the next month he only likes what he didn't like last month. lol Just always give him a good verity to choose from and you will be good. Also listen to EVERYTHING Tom says. When I rescued my Darwin he was pyramiding but I did what Tom said and now he is smooth and beautiful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To help in getting him to eat better things. Take his favorite things and cut them into pieces. Chop up his less favorite things smaller then his favorite. Mix together, spritz with water so they stick together. If he wants his favorite, he has to eat his less favorite too. Also, adding the soaked pellets will add to his variety and is easy to get chopped greens disguised into the mix. Also, any outside grazing time you can give him is the best.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
I had good luck for a while putting everything in a food processor and chopping everything up fine so he had to eat the things he didn't like but after a couple months or so he caught on to that trick and he likes it all big so he can tear it up himself. You just gotta find what works. But wellington is right outside grazing is the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.