Concern about russian tortoise hatchling

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
im not sure if someone has mentioned it but maybe soak in baby food?

when my adult russian was very sick i soaked him in organic baby food and the poor guy mustered up the strength to drink a little water and in turn got SOME nutrients from the baby food. i swear thats what kept him going during the roughest times.

adult russians are much more resilient then hatchlings though. good luck!

animalgod123

im not sure if someone has mentioned it but maybe soak in baby food?

when my adult russian was very sick i soaked him in organic baby food and the poor guy mustered up the strength to drink a little water and in turn got SOME nutrients from the baby food. i swear thats what kept him going during the roughest times.

adult russians are much more resilient then hatchlings though. good luck!
When you mean by soaking it in baby food do I have to warm it up? Mix it with water? What kind of baby food is the best? Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
mix half a jar of something like Gerber's carrot babyfood, or maybe pumpkin, into his soak water.
Which should be warm.

M

Maggie Cummings

Okay back to my tortoise. when I soak him that's when he is the most active (which still isn't much) but still refuses to eat. I had him for about a week and it hardly ate anything how much longer should I wait until I should try force feeding? If I should even do that at all.

If you are not experienced at gavage, I sure wouldn't try it. When I was learning I killed a box turtle by going down the wrong 'pipe'. Two things, Cut a tortoise salad up to mouth sized bites, mix a lot of different stuff in with the romaine, dandelions, grass, grape leafs, mulberry leafs, Rose of Sharon blooms and leafs. 2, make sure your temps and length of light are correct. Don't stand there and watch him eat. they hate that.
I've already told you to soak him daily in strained carrots, Gerber baby food, it contains a lot of vitamin A, it soaks in their cloaca and the soft spot under their chin. If you were doing everything we've told you he'd be getting better by now. The carrots make up for him not eating. And remember, he's a baby. Babies sleep a lot, and they know they are prey, so they hide a lot.

M

Maggie Cummings

No offence taken Maggie, but some people are shorter on time and/ or sleep irregular hours.

Having a timer guarantees the lights are on every day for the required amount of time, gives the tort a regular routine where the owner perhaps doesn't have one and makes going away overnight, out partying or a weekend lie-in a darn sight easier :)

And it establishes a routine for a timid tortoise with a very small monetary outlay.

Sorry, I just don't see it. But to each his own. I have 20 turtles and tortoises right now and that's how I keep track of them and make friends with them and bond with them. Just my opinion and experience. I should know better to try and give advice to a newbie, she didn't listen to me at all.....(not you Mum) she's all yours, I'm gone

animalgod123

If you are not experienced at gavage, I sure wouldn't try it. When I was learning I killed a box turtle by going down the wrong 'pipe'. Two things, Cut a tortoise salad up to mouth sized bites, mix a lot of different stuff in with the romaine, dandelions, grass, grape leafs, mulberry leafs, Rose of Sharon blooms and leafs. 2, make sure your temps and length of light are correct. Don't stand there and watch him eat. they hate that.
I've already told you to soak him daily in strained carrots, Gerber baby food, it contains a lot of vitamin A, it soaks in their cloaca and the soft spot under their chin. If you were doing everything we've told you he'd be getting better by now. The carrots make up for him not eating. And remember, he's a baby. Babies sleep a lot, and they know they are prey, so they hide a lot.
Thank you all this information it really helps a lot. I just hope soon it will become a happy active tortoise.

Diamond

phoenix,az
Animal god123, ! I'm very new at this too and had the same thing happened with my first Russian hatchling. If you are not seeing any improvement after taking the advice form some of the kinder well meaning people, I would take the baby to the vet. Babies do seem to be a lot harder to care for. Sometimes the babies we receive from breeders come with issues already, so don't be too quick to blame yourself. Do the best you can with the information and don't let anybody on this forum make you feel stupid

Last edited by a moderator:

animalgod123

Animal god123, I'm very new at this too and had the same thing happened with my first Russian hatchling. If you are not seeing any improvement after taking the advice form some of the kinder well meaning people, I would take the baby to the vet. Babies do seem to be a lot harder to care for. Sometimes the babies we receive from breeders come with issues already, so don't be too quick to blame yourself. Do the best you can with the information and don't let anybody on this forum make you feel stupid
Thank you for being kind and am trying and doing my best to make sure this baby tortoise will survive. I will most likely take her to the vet if no improvement is made soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Agreed. Just to be safe, I give my tortoise medicine by mixing it into his food. I understand your concerns, however.
Best of luck, can't wait for your tortoise to get better. Fingers crossed :).

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Animal god123, sorry for the rude remarks you have rec'd ! I'm very new at this too and had the same thing happened with my first Russian hatchling. If you are not seeing any improvement after taking the advice form some of the kinder well meaning people, I would take the baby to the vet. Babies do seem to be a lot harder to care for. Sometimes the babies we receive from breeders come with issues already, so don't be too quick to blame yourself. Do the best you can with the information and don't let anybody on this forum make you feel stupid
We all have rough starts :). Remember that there is always someone out here that will help, whether it's a vet or a forum member.

M

Maggie Cummings

Some people don't sugar coat things. I am one of those people. I gave her "good well meaning" advice. For one thing, if you sugar coat things and be too politically correct the new person doesn't realize their tortoise will die if they don't do these certain things. The first time or maybe second I told her to start soaking him in strained carrots. Then 2 days later someone says, are you soaking him in carrots, or something like that. And she says Oh how do I do that, like I hadn't told her 2 days before. I was not rude, I was blunt and to the point. I don't want that baby to die, but it will. I have been on this forum since 2008. Have you any clue as to how many newbies we have given advice to over that time, and how many dead tortoises we are told about? Then the newbie acts like an idiot, does NOT do the suggested things, they argue with the advice, and the tort dies. Time after time after time. When if they would do the few things they are told their animal would live. It's frustration as hell to try to help someone when you know 100% they are not following our advice.
I won't apologize because I was not rude, I was honest and blunt. That's one thing that's wrong with the younger generation these days. I gave good advice, short and to the point, if you thought I was rude, you ain't seen nothing yet baby.
Plus she should have taken that baby to the Vet days ago or taken it back to Petco.

animalgod123

We all have rough starts :). Remember that there is always someone out here that will help, whether it's a vet or a forum member.
Some people don't sugar coat things. I am one of those people. I gave her "good well meaning" advice. For one thing, if you sugar coat things and be too politically correct the new person doesn't realize their tortoise will die if they don't do these certain things. The first time or maybe second I told her to start soaking him in strained carrots. Then 2 days later someone says, are you soaking him in carrots, or something like that. And she says Oh how do I do that, like I hadn't told her 2 days before. I was not rude, I was blunt and to the point. I don't want that baby to die, but it will. I have been on this forum since 2008. Have you any clue as to how many newbies we have given advice to over that time, and how many dead tortoises we are told about? Then the newbie acts like an idiot, does NOT do the suggested things, they argue with the advice, and the tort dies. Time after time after time. When if they would do the few things they are told their animal would live. It's frustration as hell to try to help someone when you know 100% they are not following our advice.
I won't apologize because I was not rude, I was honest and blunt. That's one thing that's wrong with the younger generation these days. I gave good advice, short and to the point, if you thought I was rude, you ain't seen nothing yet baby.
Plus she should have taken that baby to the Vet days ago or taken it back to Petco.
No offense or anything but the first thing you posted on my thread was about you digging up a dead tortoise, which is kind of weird and random. And who is her? I'm a guy get your facts right fyi. Also I am not really new to this I have a 5 year old Russian tortoise that is doing great! also fyi they are in different enclosures so no they are not together. So you were not the first person to comment on soaking it in baby food. I have done everything everyone has suggested so before you call us so called "newbies" an idiot take a moment to realize who you are calling an idiot. The only thing I haven't done is take it to the vet which I will do soon. So I am doing everything I'm told because I want what is best for this tortoise! Also since when did this become about generation? We are all on here become we have a similar interest in tortoises and we want what's best for them so this is no place to argue about ridiculous things like this. Oh and I did not buy it from a pet store like Petco I bought it from a breeder fyi.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the point Maggie was trying to make about the dead tortoise was that it seems normal to her to see those markings on the scutes, as her tortoise had them too. And unless we click on your name and go to your profile page, we don't know what gender you are. Also, with only 17 posts at this time, we have no way of knowing your expertise. Assumptions were made, but it's nothing to get all upset about. Just read it and go on to the next post. I see nothing in Maggie's post that is offensive, and I'm sorry it affected you that way. We're just trying to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Okay back to my tortoise. when I soak him that's when he is the most active (which still isn't much) but still refuses to eat. I had him for about a week and it hardly ate anything how much longer should I wait until I should try force feeding? If I should even do that at all.

Tortoises can go a very long time without eating before it becomes a problem. Bear in mind that baby tortoises are prey and he's probably afraid, and also he's in a new place, which makes him afraid. He'll come around. It sometimes takes a month or so. Take him out daily and soak him in warm water for about 15 minutes and while he's soaking, place the food near the opening of his shelter. When you put him back, put in in front of the food and step quickly out of his sight. He'll eventually get used to this routine and come to realize he's not going to get eaten.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I don't know if it's been suggested before, but maybe try some sort of treat? Many tortoises go crazy for a hibiscus flower or dandelion. For Russian tortoises, it's not recommended but I believe that one berry (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) won't do any harm. If you feed these too often there can be serious consequences. Blackberry leaves are also enjoyed sometimes. Tortoises may also go for squash or pumpkin, but these can be too high in fiber if fed too often.
I know it's not the best time of year to find these fruits o_O but maybe get one last dandelion from your yard. Make sure any of your garden crops don't come from the side of the road-- who knows what could be there. Also make sure they're not sprayed-- no chemicals, pesticides, etc.
Some tortoises also like pellets-- I've heard people have a lot of success with Mazuri.
Each tortoise is different, though, so it might take a while to find a food he likes. Be patient :tort:.

animalgod123

Tortoises can go a very long time without eating before it becomes a problem. Bear in mind that baby tortoises are prey and he's probably afraid, and also he's in a new place, which makes him afraid. He'll come around. It sometimes takes a month or so. Take him out daily and soak him in warm water for about 15 minutes and while he's soaking, place the food near the opening of his shelter. When you put him back, put in in front of the food and step quickly out of his sight. He'll eventually get used to this routine and come to realize he's not going to get eaten.
Its been more than a week since I had her and I only saw her eat a small amount of food and that was days ago. I have another tortoise do you think if I put them together that it might become more active or something? If I take it to the vet will they be able to do anything or just give me advice like everyone on here? Also she still hardly ever opens her eyes. One more thing is that she will move under the basking lamp and bask for a while then go to her humid hid throughout the day which is a positive sign because before she didn't do that.

animalgod123

I don't know if it's been suggested before, but maybe try some sort of treat? Many tortoises go crazy for a hibiscus flower or dandelion. For Russian tortoises, it's not recommended but I believe that one berry (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) won't do any harm. If you feed these too often there can be serious consequences. Blackberry leaves are also enjoyed sometimes. Tortoises may also go for squash or pumpkin, but these can be too high in fiber if fed too often.
I know it's not the best time of year to find these fruits o_O but maybe get one last dandelion from your yard. Make sure any of your garden crops don't come from the side of the road-- who knows what could be there. Also make sure they're not sprayed-- no chemicals, pesticides, etc.
Some tortoises also like pellets-- I've heard people have a lot of success with Mazuri.
Each tortoise is different, though, so it might take a while to find a food he likes. Be patient :tort:.
Thank you, the person I got her from said she was eating romaine lettuce and mazuri tortoise food and that's what I'm giving her now but she still wont eat. Unfortunately there are no dandelions this time of year so I ordered some seeds online and are growing them now for her to try.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If still worried, try a baby food soak. Add half a jar of something like Gerber's carrot or pumpkin baby food to her soak water to get some nutrients in her.
Do not put her in with the other tortoise. This will stress both of them and make matters worse.
The vet may be able to test for things we cannot see or know, not a bad idea to get a check up when you have a new tortoise. But ensure you only go to a recognized herp vet, ordinary vets can be worse than useless.
Not opening the eyes is bad. Are your temps and humidity correct ? Are you using a coil or compact bulb ? These have been known to damage torts eyes and even cause blindness, use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) or a strip UVB light.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes putting baby tortoises together at mealtime encourages them to eat - competition for the food. If you try it, watch them carefully (out of sight) and separate them when they're finished eating.

I can't remember if you said the temperature was 80F degrees or not? They won't eat if they aren't warm enough. Also, you aren't using a curly shaped compact fluorescent bulb in that baby's habitat are you?

Just trying to think of the most common reasons babies don't eat.