Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Does anyone have any ideas on how my Irfanview program got removed off my computer?

I added a picture to the computer, then I wanted to open Irfanview to resize the picture and save it, but Irfanview's path couldn't be found. So I thought, ok, I'll just take it off the computer and download it again. But when I went to add/remove programs I was told that it had already been removed. Trouble is, all the sites where the free download is available are trying to get me to download an anti-virus program instead.

Does this sound like maybe I have a virus?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's possible I know a lot of unscrupulous virus people will infect your computer than offer to remove it for a fee.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hi Yvonne,

Can you download it from here: http://www.irfanview.com/

If not then you may have spyware on you pc, I would suggest running whichever virus program you currently have installed to make sure nothing is on your pc. Also in internet explorer you might try deleting your cookies. Hope it helps, let us know :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you!

On Windows XP I have an option called "system restore." I restored my computer to a previous date and its ok now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Yvonne, download MalwareBytes (safe source: http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/) and update/run it OFTEN (I update/run it every day, when I log off)...it's amazing the "bugs" it can catch!

BTW, Microsaft Security Essentials is a VERY strong anti-virus...between these two programs, I'm avoided viruses completely (knock on wood).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you. I have Avast and IObit security and super anti spyware, but obviously they aren't doing the job.

I'll remove them and try your suggestions when I'm ready to close the computer this evening.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
Thank you. I have Avast and IObit security and super anti spyware, but obviously they aren't doing the job.

I'll remove them and try your suggestions when I'm ready to close the computer this evening.

Had Avast prior to Microsoft Security Essentials, but a friend who fixes computer invasions told me that Microsoft Security Essentials is the best out there, and she's never set me wrong.

Hope your experience w/ these two products as hassle-free as mine has been. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.