Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Has anyone's computer been struck by XP Smart security - unregistered version?

Its malware that tells you your computer has been infected and is in grave danger. Windows keep popping up to warn you of the terrible things that are happening to your computer.

Its VERY hard to get rid of and is causing me all sorts of trouble. The latest thing is I can't use GOOGLE to search for anything. The search is redirected to sites that I didn't ask for.

If anyone else is having this trouble, you can download a couple of free anti spyware programs that seem to be able to get the malware off your computer:

Malware bytes and super anti spyware. Just search for free spyware and download those two.

For some reason, the anti-virus programs (I had McAfee, then changed to Avast ) don't recognise it and it gets through and into your computer.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Yvonne have you tried using adaware to remove spyware and malware? Though Tom is right, it's pretty expensive to replace your computer just because of some nasty software. Adaware is free!

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I have Malware bytes (great program,free) and AVG (free to [email protected]). I did have the same issue as you Yvonne. But since I've switched to the above mentioned programs, it's not a problem anymore. I use windows XP firewall as it's always worked well for me AND it comes highly recommended by the computer geeks!

McAfee and Norton are huge CPU hogs....very bad! Avast is a good (and free) Anti-spyware program. I'm glad things are running good again Yvonne!

Adaware is a really good program as well, like Josh said. It's free too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I want to download Adaware do I uninstall my Avast? or will they work together?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Ah, technology! It saves us so much time and lowers stress!

Tom, you are bragging again.

(My mom has a Mac and it is SO easy to use, but she doesn't go around rubbing it in....)

franeich

5 Year Member
Yvonne,
Stick with the avg and malware bytes. Purchase the malware bytes its only $25. Its a one time purchase so you dont have to pay yearly. I do computer repair and I have found the two of those together are bullet proof. I wouldnt purchase the avg just stick with the free on that one. In the free version the malware bytes doesnt do anything unless you manually run it.

also remove the avast

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, so do I have to remove AVAST from my computer before I download the AVG software?

O-o-o-ops! I just saw the last line in your post. Ok...I'm off to remove Avast and add AVG. Thanks for your help.

dannomite

5 Year Member
In my opinion dont purchase anything...Adaware works and you can use it with AVAST...a lot of the free software works just as well. I also agree with Jill, stay away from Norton/McAfee they take far too many resources from your machine and have a very noticeable slowdown. I'm a Linux geek myself so I avoid Windows whenever possible but when I do use it I refuse to pay for programs like this as there is so many free options and you can take that money you saved and buy some tortoise food :). Theres also the "Piracy" approach.....ive said too much

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I get all my programs FREE from Cnet.com. All the programs mentioned above are really good. I have a teenager who is always downloading something, music, video's and some junky stuff. So I manually run Malware bytes once a week and this way I can see what it's detected. I like having more than one program because often one programs finds something the other has missed. Kinda like a cross-reference check. If you need any help Yvonne just PM me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it looks like its gone (fingers crossed). A friend told me to download a couple of free softwares, CWSchredder and House Call, which I did, and I ran them plus an AVG scan plus Super Antispyware and Spybot! I'm so protected now that I don't think I'll EVER get pregnant!

Thanks for all your help.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Just my opinion, but I've used Adaware, Malware Bytes, and all the other free ones, and they do NOT work. My computer completely stopped turning on one day, and I took it to my cousin, who builds and fixes computers. He recommended Eset. You can look it up online and it costs either $40 or $60 for the home version, but is SO worth it. I had OVER 200 VIRUSES. He said that most of them had been sitting in my system for a while, because the free programs can't always eliminate everything. Those useless [not to offend anyone] free programs don't work for ****. Remember, there's a reason why they're free. Go to eset.com!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How much eset stock do you own? J/K :)

dannomite

5 Year Member
***Biting my tongue***

:) I have a job because people pay for software so I shouldn't complain! This is just one software area I do not believe in paying for. Then again I do not believe people should use Windows either....theres an off-topic debatable subject if anyone is interested! Tortoises are pretty cool tho eh?

Sammi at least you use NOD32 instead of Norton tho....we used to build a lot of PCs for people with NOD32 on it but we switched because NOD32 was behind with the 64-bit O/S support (its caught up now though). I just live with an "open-source free software" mentality...some of the best stuff out there is free and designed by communities of people who collaborate their knowledge not for profit but because they just want to...people who create software because they want to and not because its their job is very powerful in my opinion. My 2 cents for what its worth. Good luck with the Malware Hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.