need computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I realize that this is a tortoise and turtle forum, but I am not very computer literate and I also know that some of oyu may be or have choildren or grandchildren who are, I ca n deal with tech support so I thought I would ask here before I looked elsewhere, you nevber know right?. Ok here it goes 2 months ago I contracted a computer virus, my old antivirus expired and I did not realize it until it was to late, I do a lot of online survey and such and once in awhile I contract a virus and it takes care of it, but no anti virus protection equals windows reinstalled, ever since I reinstalled windows I can't play wow anymore I can't even log onto my account or reinstall it. My computer won't read the second disc and I can't log into my account to ask blizz, catch 2 So doe sanyone have anyt idead what could be wrong I have been thinking with my limited computer skill that it mat be a CD drive problem I also tried to intall a mutli disv game an dit would not read the second disc, But I can not figur eout why it won'gt let me log into my account? any idead or soultions would be greatly appreciated and of course I will be glad to answer any quesitons you may hve to the best of my ability. You can post here you can PM me whatever feels good to you. So I leave it in your hands bring those super intelligent computer whiz kids out. Thanks for any help I am at the end of my rope and am seriously considering contacting some tech guy but I just don't like them.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Sounds like you still have the virus. If you have a friend in computers, or a nearby store [such as Geeks, GeekSquad/Best Buy] you can take your computer there to get fixed, but it will cost a bit. I recommend a friend that can help you, its the cheapest way to go. Then once you get everything working again, Eset is a good virus program. Just google it, and you can find their website. Good luck!

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I would suggest freeing up some of your harddrive space by putting work/photos/music onto an external hard drive and or cds. This will make your computer run quicker. Next, remove any programmes you dont really use (they take up space for no reason) then Run 'disk defragmentation' which will compress your files. If you have online banking, you should be able to downlad some free anivirus software. Run that and make sure all virus is gone! Big tech will be very expensive! Good luck :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think I've EVER seen such a LONG post from you! You really must be at the end of your rope. LOL!

I have AVAST anti virus on my computer. Its free and they update it all the time.

I think your best bet would be to pay to have the computer cleaned then go with a free anti-virus download.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I just want to say: has it occurred to you that maybe you have been playing too much WOW and thus angered the tortoise gods, who then smote you with a virus?

You may have to make a sacrificial offering before anything else works.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Stephanie Logan said:
I just want to say: has it occurred to you that maybe you have been playing too much WOW and thus angered the tortoise gods, who then smote you with a virus?

You may have to make a sacrificial offering before anything else works.

You can get a pet turtle in WoW :)

speedy.jpg

http://warcraftpets.com/wow.pets/seasonal/childrens.week/speedy.asp?cat=36

Doing a full reinstall of windows (with a reformat) will get rid of 99% of viruses and all keyloggers/trojans. Along with Avast and Eset, AVG Free is another good free anti-virus with frequent updates.

Even if you can't install the game, you should still be able to log into your account on their website (worldofwarcraft.com/account). If you haven't converted your account to a Battle.net account yet, that may be a problem as well (your login will be your email address if you already did.) If you can't log in at all, the virus/keylogger may have stolen your info and your account could have been stolen. You can try to reset your password here: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/loginsupport/

Status
Not open for further replies.