Colorado Box Turtle Mom!!

MeganRose

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hey all!

Just found this site and thought to introduce myself. I got my first box turtle (ornate) last year and acquired a 2nd ornate in February. A couple of weeks ago, found a person who could no longer care for his 2 adult, 1 juvenile and a 2 yr old 3 toed box turtles and have grown my family as a result. Well, got a surprise the other day when the adult female (now known as Terra for the greek god of motherhood) laid 3 eggs! Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Plenty of moisture in the incubator or the eggs will collapse. Box turtle eggs are usually pretty easy to hatch. I've even hatched them sitting on a shelf in my closet!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!:<3:

Please post pics of your torts and enclosures, and make sure that you separate them: torts do NOT like, want, or need company. They'd rather be
alone.;) And please soak them daily in warm water to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

Kindly read the "beginners mistakes" thread and care sheets, and ask any question when in need of help.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
A warm welcome to the forum!:<3:

Please post pics of your torts and enclosures, and make sure that you separate them: torts do NOT like, want, or need company. They'd rather be
alone.;) And please soak them daily in warm water to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

Kindly read the "beginners mistakes" thread and care sheets, and ask any question when in need of help.

Gillian these are turtles and in most situations it's ok to keep the turtles in groups as long as the enclosure is big enough.

MeganRose

Colorado
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I just added a little more water to the incubation enclosure. I have the eggs sitting in vermiculite with some moss on top. I have my adult boxies in a large wooden container during the day and when I get home from work, I let them outside for a little bit. In the next week or two, I am planning on begging to construct an outdoor enclosure. For the most part, they all get along fine, but bug feeding gets a little crazy. The 3-toes are relatively calm during this, but my ornates will actually take worms out of the others mouths.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 8

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I just added a little more water to the incubation enclosure. I have the eggs sitting in vermiculite with some moss on top. I have my adult boxies in a large wooden container during the day and when I get home from work, I let them outside for a little bit. In the next week or two, I am planning on begging to construct an outdoor enclosure. For the most part, they all get along fine, but bug feeding gets a little crazy. The 3-toes are relatively calm during this, but my ornates will actually take worms out of the others mouths.

View attachment 177170
Aww! They are adorable! :<3: