color and Betacarotene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1111

5 Year Member
I was wondering if betacarotene would help improve or keep a red foot and cherry heads color? I have noticed some red foots lose there color with age.
and what about Nekton-rep-color?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Probably not. Most tortoises become melanistic with age, it isn't really that they are loosing their color, it is that they are darkening from sun exposure. It is how nature intends it :)

As far as the Nekton - I have never used it, but personally I don't give any supplements to my torts other than calcium carbonate, unless they are ill, and then they get vitamins as well. I use either powdered Centrum complete or Gerber Poly Vi Sol (for human babies.)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I have not seen anything that makes me think that supplements would really help, but some carotene can't hurt. Many people think UV helps as well.

shane1111

5 Year Member
i was reading a box turtle book. and it had a part about them fading in color and mentioned betacarotene helping them keep there amazing color.
i was hoping it would work with red foots

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am pretty sure feeding your rf beta carotene will enhance the shades of reds but it is only enhanced....if you stop feeding it the color will fade. This works with fish and birds also so I would think it would work on torts. Even Dr. Oz said that if we eat enough carrots we will have a healthy orange glow to our skin.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Again, I have not seen any clinical evidence that this works, but it should be mentioned that too much beta carotene has its own concerns.

In general, too much of a good thing in a diet is almost always a bad thing. Some beta carotene is good, but too much, as in the doses needed to color things, possibly is not.

While there are several things that can happen from such an overdose, the thing that concerns me most with tortoises is that excess carotene is stored in the liver, which may reduce the ability of the liver to store other, more helpful, vitamins- like D.

We don't know this happens with torts, but it seems to be too risky to justify the possible benefit.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
There is anecdotal evidence that suggests diets higher in carotenes do tend to 'enhance' the red colorations in tortoises and other reptiles - the references to which escape me at the moment. However, as intimated in this article, http://veterinaryherpetologist.blogspot.com/2009/09/chromatophores.html, the dermal coloration of reptiles is due to chromatophores containing pteridines not carotenoids. Other publications suggest that an interplay of carotenoids and pteridines. So, is it possible? Yes. Is excessive carotene a good thing? Probably not but it has not been shown to be harmful in *mammals*.

Once again we are returned to the 'variety is the spice of life' mantra... Carotenes are a required part of the diet for the synthesis of Vitamin A and other essential compounds so be sure to include them. Carotenes unlike many other compounds are not systhesized de novo and so must be provided in the diet so be sure to include them. As with almost anything, however, excess is usually not productive so include carotene-rich foods in moderation along with a widely varied and balanced diet. For the record, most dark leafy greens - the basis for most tortoise diets - are rich in carotenes. Adding carrots, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin to the diet will only add to the variety providing otherwise missing or differing ratios of dietary elements which brings us back to 'variety is the spice of life'.

Just my $0.02...

Status
Not open for further replies.