Do Cherry Head Redfoot tortoises get more colorful as they mature?

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm getting these Cherry Head Redfoot torts next month. All three hatchlings are from different mothers that are highly marbled. I really like the red color on these torts :) Do they keep this red color or does the red coloration get more intense as they mature? just curious.

Attachments

• #CHR11P.jpg
    #CHR11P.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 59
  • #CHR2P.jpg
    #CHR2P.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 55
  • #CHL11G.jpg
    #CHL11G.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I don't have an answer to your question as I don't have much experience with this species. But I just wanted to say those are some very nice looking tortoises. Hopefully someone can answer your question.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I only have one cherryhead which is about 15 months now. the red has not changed yet but the marbling started about 5 or 6 months ago. I would hazard a guess that the amount of UV they are exposed to would be a determining factor with this. Mine went from living inside with artificial UVB to living outside 24/7 a few months ago so I too am interested to see what becomes of the red. How do their mothers look? Do the seller have pics of them as babies for comparison? Was momma outdoor kept?

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I only have one cherryhead which is about 15 months now. the red has not changed yet but the marbling started about 5 or 6 months ago. I would hazard a guess that the amount of UV they are exposed to would be a determining factor with this. Mine went from living inside with artificial UVB to living outside 24/7 a few months ago so I too am interested to see what becomes of the red. How do their mothers look? Do the seller have pics of them as babies for comparison? Was momma outdoor kept?
I have seen pictures of the mothers, they are marbled, reg red head. The breeder does not have baby pictures because they were rescues. She's had the torts for years though. They live outdoors most of the year and are housed indoors for the winter in a large spacious room. She said these hatchlings should be an interesting group to watch them grow.