What is the difference????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I was wondering what the differences between Dwarf Cherry Heads and red-foots were??? Is housing different??? Can they breed together??? Diet????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep redfoot tortoises, but let's see if I can remember some of what I've read here on the forum (I don't like to see a question go unanswered):

Cherry head and redfoot are the same tortoise. It's a matter of location. Where in South America they came from. Some of the cherry heads stay a little on the small side, and some of them actually get as big as the regular redfoots.

You can trust Terry of turtletary.com and Mark (Madkins) for the real scoop. Allegra too. There are others, but I'm drawing a blank. They'll be by and set me straight and give you good info.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne pretty much summed it up for you. Yes the housing is the same. Also they can be breed together, but should not be. Mixing the two is causing a lot of problems for folks not knowing for sure just which one they really have and if it is a true Cherry, a true Redfoot, or a combo of the two.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
. Mixing the two is causing a lot of problems for folks not knowing for sure just which one they really have and if it is a true Cherry, a true Redfoot, or a combo of the two.

You hit the nail on the head ....80% of the " cherrys" you see are really a combo ... and why there is such debate over subspecies ect. I have several of both , One group of cherries that are adults and breeding at 7" look different than other group of cherrys who biggest male is about 13" . This goes on and on .. in here ...its very easy to distinguish the two " even different markers" between the cherrys once you've seen 500 or so and compare them side by side .
JD~:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ok .. here is an example ... " even though Iam not a listed expert"

Here are some " Large " Cherrys .. rather you call them pure cherrys with , Marbled. leg scale , head... markings. Look at the shape of their carapace, overall size, head shape and color. All of these are 9 to 13 "
OSCARCLS.jpg

MARB-F.jpg
CLMOMMA.jpg
Marble.jpg
BIGCHERRY4.jpg
Femalered.jpg
ALPHAMALEFACE.jpg

Now the " DRAWFS" ....
All usally marbled very small 6 - 7 "breeding adults. Notice domed shell , pointed narrow snout. a very distinct different head shape...and carapace.
TCHERRYFACE2.jpg
ultra1-1.jpg
P1010102.jpg
ultra14.jpg
Jrcherry3Face-2.jpg
size3-1.jpg
2on12-1.jpg

JD~:)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
To answer the original questions, they are technically the same species that have the same environmental and dietary requirements. They can be bred together, but I personally do not agree with the practice. The word "dwarf" is a misnomer, the cherries appear to sexually mature at a smaller size, but continue to grow to similar sizes as the northerns (excluding the Bolivians), but anything is possible.

Since they sexually mature at a smaller size, caution should be taken before allowing the females to be exposed to males because safe breeding is dependent on the size of the anal scute opening. If the opening is not large enough to pass the egg, the tort may become egg bound. I will take pictures of our cherryheads later today and start another thread to show what I consider as sexually mature.

Allegra

PS
Yvonne, thanks for the compliment!

Status
Not open for further replies.