COLD DARK ROOM

Pistachio's Pamperer

Location (City and/or State)
Tri-cities, Tennessee
hey....I think your info on TracPhone data and calls must be outdated. Service here on the East Coast is just as good as any cell provider. Text / data & calls all one.

Here’s a recent QVC offer comes with 1500 minutes -

https://www.qvc.com/LG-Tracfone-Prepaid-Cell-Phone-w-1500-Minutes-&-Protection-Plan.product.E226238.html
Could be. I switched my daughter a cpl years back. Never any complaints about service and that was moving the phone from Indiana to New Mexico. And it was used in some remote areas with no problems.
My only “complaint” was cost per call or text message.
I also had used it for my elderly mother but she hated having a cell.
-Meg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Could be. I switched my daughter a cpl years back. Never any complaints about service and that was moving the phone from Indiana to New Mexico. And it was used in some remote areas with no problems.
My only “complaint” was cost per call or text message.
I also had used it for my elderly mother but she hated having a cell.
-Meg

Yes, they must have reworked their business plan, and removed that pesky cost per minute..etc. I use my phone for “safe arrival“ calls, occasional texts, and “l’ll be home in xx minutes - whats for dinner!l“ But honestly, very pleased with how cheap it is to use and no monthly service fees. “Free” 1500 minute plans via QVC go a long way ( at least for me).

Stay safe out there!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That was what I was thinking too. It is something we have persuaded both sets of parents to do. It doesn’t have to be a smartphone, just something simple that you can use to get help if you need it
Joe has a Verizon prepaid for just $10 a month. He never uses all of the money because he texts on it. I buy a $30 card every 3 months and make sure I add it right before it's due. That way he doesn't lose the money in his account. I think they still do that on simple flip phones. Also I think any of those phones will dial 911 even without a service. His is a simple cell phone but does have a key board.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Busy morning, but no photos sorry. I really wish I had someone with me to film feeding the young swallows in the pre-release aviary. Their flying has got so good now. Instead of just sitting on a perch waiting to be fed, they fly to me holding a pinch of food in tweezers and take it in mid flight. It’s amazing to watch them fly so well. They will be released very soon and head off on their long migration to Africa.

In other news, we just got told that Mum-in-law will be released from hospital this afternoon. We don’t know anything else.

She had a course of injections to break up the blood clots in her lungs and was on oxygen all weekend. I can see why they want to move her on... having a respiratory problem with covid around isn’t great. Exactly how mobile she actually is to be seen.

JoesDad is planning on skyping once she gets home so he can see for himself.
It sounds like so much fun with the swallows and rewarding. Mum in law will probably be just glad to be home. And probably better off at home because of covid. Hopefully the hospital will be doing follow up care with her if she needed to be kept longer.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A cheap cell plan with no bells and whistles is $25 or $30 a month, and that's just the service charge. Phone calls cost extra. It's just not feasible for me to pay that kind of money for the privilege of being able to carry around an expensive plastic object I never use and have to remember to charge. I'm not a person who uses a phone, as my sister will confirm. A better plan for ME would be to join the "help I've fallen and I can't get up." club. That's about $ 20 a month and a much better deal for me. I'm considering it.
I have one of those buttons in my pocket. It actually helps me to remember to be careful and not fall. Mine is about $22 a month. My thought about a cell phone is it only works if I didn't knock myself out or can move. I've actually fallen and couldn't. The only thing I could do was pray for strength to get up. He helped evidently.