COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Busy morning, but no photos sorry. I really wish I had someone with me to film feeding the young swallows in the pre-release aviary. Their flying has got so good now. Instead of just sitting on a perch waiting to be fed, they fly to me holding a pinch of food in tweezers and take it in mid flight. It’s amazing to watch them fly so well. They will be released very soon and head off on their long migration to Africa.

In other news, we just got told that Mum-in-law will be released from hospital this afternoon. We don’t know anything else.

She had a course of injections to break up the blood clots in her lungs and was on oxygen all weekend. I can see why they want to move her on... having a respiratory problem with covid around isn’t great. Exactly how mobile she actually is to be seen.

JoesDad is planning on skyping once she gets home so he can see for himself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you. It means a lot! She woke up a few minutes ago and was able to tell me that she loved me and that she was strong. I asked her if she could feel anything and she could not.. she is back under now..
Poor gal. Being in hospital is no fun, but at least she knows she's not alone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this the right time to say you really should have a cell phone? And keep it on you all the time?

My gosh! I'm so glad you are on the mend. These falls can be devastating.
A cheap cell plan with no bells and whistles is $25 or $30 a month, and that's just the service charge. Phone calls cost extra. It's just not feasible for me to pay that kind of money for the privilege of being able to carry around an expensive plastic object I never use and have to remember to charge. I'm not a person who uses a phone, as my sister will confirm. A better plan for ME would be to join the "help I've fallen and I can't get up." club. That's about $ 20 a month and a much better deal for me. I'm considering it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is to be expected. Something is terribly wrong. Your mind and body are on high alert, ready to jump into action...you are protecting your child. As you are able to get over the trauma and start to relax a bit, I think these episodes will go away. For now, just be kind to yourself and acknowledge that you feel like you've been beaten up and are terrified. Try to let yourself have a good cry. Crying is therapeutic.

I'm doing OK. It's over a year since Pete died, so the "year of firsts" is done. You know, the first holiday without him, the first anniversary date without him, etc. COVID quarantine has been tough being alone. If I didn't have my pets I would be bonkers. And I miss my best friend that I lost in Feb. She was the person who knew me better than anyone else except Pete, (and still loved me ? ). She was honest with me, and helped me so much as Pete deteriorated. A genuine best friend.

So I talk to my pets, spend way too much time here on TFO, and go out when I need to. I mourn all the awful stuff going on in this country...the pandemic, the fires, the violence, the hateful politics. I'm lonely and sad, but...well..that's just the way it is right now. I'm already feeling a bit better since the horrid heat we had here has finally gone.

So yeah, I'm OK. My critters are my comfort and caring for them keeps me out of trouble.
It's really too bad all of us who need comfort are so far apart geographically. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get together in each others' living rooms?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
It's really too bad all of us who need comfort are so far apart geographically. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get together in each others' living rooms?
Not these days though. We’re now as close to each other as anyone should be. Although I have been seeing friends in parks and in my backyard. A big CDR barbecue would be lovely.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A cheap cell plan with no bells and whistles is $25 or $30 a month, and that's just the service charge. Phone calls cost extra. It's just not feasible for me to pay that kind of money for the privilege of being able to carry around an expensive plastic object I never use and have to remember to charge. I'm not a person who uses a phone, as my sister will confirm. A better plan for ME would be to join the "help I've fallen and I can't get up." club. That's about $ 20 a month and a much better deal for me. I'm considering it.

I use TracPhone - i only carry it when i go kayaking. HSN & QVC always have great deals on these. There’s no monthly service.

Here’s there info. We”ve been using Tracphone for years....no issues. Every blue moon we “add minutes” then wait for the next blue moon.

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
A cheap cell plan with no bells and whistles is $25 or $30 a month, and that's just the service ....
Some places offer phones for older folks, ppl with disabilities, and lower incomes. They are a basic phone with limited ability(think flip phone). Those phones are low cost(10bucks a month) or no cost based on income. Here senior centers have info about the programs.
Look and see if tracfone is a possibility in yr area they have a cheap 40-50 phone and then a yearly prepaid card that’s like 125 for a year. It’s very limited service(no data) and calls and texts are “expensive” but it’s good for emergency— it’s what I used with my daughter until I felt she was ready for a regular phone. The minutes don’t roll over so it’s a yearly expense. Can be purchased at Walmart’s and dollar stores. Or online.
Xfinity/Comcast if they are your internet provider also offer a cheap phone which is what my daughter is on now. I bought a cheap refurbished phone and her service costs me 12.99 a month. It works by bouncing off xfinity WiFi in ppls homes so you have to be in an area where xfinity is a provider.
There are other programs but I don’t have info. And would depend on what’s available in yr area.

Just some ideas so you can have a phone just in case.

-Meg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

You should be able to get a prepaid basic/non-smart phone for about $100/year.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Busy morning, but no photos sorry. I really wish I had someone with me to film feeding the young swallows in the pre-release aviary. Their flying has got so good now. Instead of just sitting on a perch waiting to be fed, they fly to me holding a pinch of food in tweezers and take it in mid flight. It’s amazing to watch them fly so well. They will be released very soon and head off on their long migration to Africa.

In other news, we just got told that Mum-in-law will be released from hospital this afternoon. We don’t know anything else.
I'm glad Mum-in-law is out. As you say hospitals are not places to hang around just now.
I love swallows.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
@EllieMay
Still praying for Jessica. She is very brave.
Do you want to share how the accident happened? Was she at work?
Have you thought about having a good friend start Meal Train for your family for a few weeks? It really can take stress off.
Just put a cooler at the front door for drop offs.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good mornooning, roommates! All’s well in my corner now that I was able to find my way back into the common room. New(er) roommates—don’t go off wandering in the dark. It’s very hard to find your way back if you lose it. Fortunately, @JoesMum, @ZEROPILOT and @Momof4 threw me a glowing jellyfish to get me out of the tunnels.

I’m enjoying Canada, even though those pesky black squirrels (that I used to find cute!?) ate all my cherry tomatoes and dug up all my herbs in the backyard. The cardinals and blue jays are gorgeous, although one blue jay almost gave a heart attack to my cat when it chased her, screaming murder for no reason. I had to be chased too, because I had the cat on a leash.

I have two cats from a rescue where I volunteer. They don’t particularly like each other but manage OK when treats are at stake. I also have three mollies (set up with advice from @ZEROPILOT and @AZtortMom) and a mysterious snail outbreak in the aquarium.

Job search came to a standstill as of March. But there’s always the local supermarket needing cashiers. At least nobody expects me to speak Danish there. Français, maybe, but at least not Danish—positive thinking???

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some places offer phones for older folks, ppl with disabilities, and lower incomes. They are a basic phone with limited ability(think flip phone). Those phones are low cost(10bucks a month) or no cost based on income. Here senior centers have info about the programs.

-Meg
Good morning, Meg! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good mornooning, roommates! All’s well in my corner now that I was able to find my way back into the common room. New(er) roommates—don’t go off wandering in the dark. It’s very hard to find your way back if you lose it. Fortunately, @JoesMum, @ZEROPILOT and @Momof4 threw me a glowing jellyfish to get me out of the tunnels.

I’m enjoying Canada, even though those pesky black squirrels (that I used to find cute!?) ate all my cherry tomatoes and dug up all my herbs in the backyard. The cardinals and blue jays are gorgeous, although one blue jay almost gave a heart attack to my cat when it chased her, screaming murder for no reason. I had to be chased too, because I had the cat on a leash.
At least nobody expects me to speak Danish there. Français, maybe, but at least not Danish—positive thinking???
Yes, it's still Think Positive Day.
Those pesky black squirrels are a s bad as meerkats.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Look and see if tracfone is a possibility in yr area they have a cheap 40-50 phone and then a yearly prepaid card that’s like 125 for a year. It’s very limited service(no data) and calls and texts are “expensive” but it’s good for emergency— it’s what I used with my daughter until I felt she was ready for a regular phone. The minutes don’t roll over so it’s a yearly expense. Can be purchased at Walmart’s and dollar stores. Or online.
Xfinity/Comcast if they are your internet provider also offer a cheap phone which is what my daughter is on now. I bought a cheap refurbished phone and her service costs me 12.99 a month. It works by bouncing off xfinity WiFi in ppls homes so you have to be in an area where xfinity is a provider.
There are other programs but I don’t have info. And would depend on what’s available in yr area.

Just some ideas so you can have a phone just in case.

-Meg

hey....I think your info on TracPhone data and calls must be outdated. Service here on the East Coast is just as good as any cell provider. Text / data & calls all one.

Here’s a recent QVC offer comes with 1500 minutes -

https://www.qvc.com/LG-Tracfone-Pre...inutes-&-Protection-Plan.product.E226238.html