COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Good morning and Happy Easter Monday to you all.
It's a bank holiday here - is that the same in the US?
It's been a chilly night and we've had frosts the last 2 mornings, but the cloud should clear later for a cold but brighter day.
Lola hadn't surfaced yet and even though my garden has been warm in the sun over the weekend, I still haven't been able to get him to venture out yet......he's a peculiar tortoise?
Have a good day.
On Monday after Easter it's business as usual here. Our 3 day weekend usually starts Friday. But we had mail delivery which used to not happen. I even saw a mail truck yesterday and the grocery stores were open.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Back from a day on the water. My kayaking partner and I headed inland to the reservoir/river that we “train” on. No power boats, no waves - we can do some extended power strokes to get our upper bodies back in shape.

Tons of turtles basking by noon. Found a very cold & floating Garter Snake. Was able to coax it back to shore where it sat quickly on the first rock.

Plenty of Eagles, turtles, hawks & the one snake.

First the Snake - Balled Up & Floating
FF83C7BC-6A00-453C-8A93-3B864E2C678D.jpeg

Definitely Liked this Rock
5EDE20C3-FB15-4B7A-A46C-D3BBFFFB150B.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternooning all

My shift at Folly today has changed with the seasons. Baby bird feeding has begun ?

Today I had 2 (European) Robins
View attachment 322529

Two tiny Dunnocks (they’ll grow to sparrow size) with their bright red gapes
View attachment 322531

three blackbirds
View attachment 322530

All to be fed every 30 minutes.

Because the number of babies is low at the moment, I did that alongside regular shift work caring for pigeons, pheasants and this very grumpy badger
View attachment 322532
See what I mean about your pictures. I never dreamed our baby robins were black and speckled with white until I got the privaledge of viewing one in person. Most people don't get to see baby birds and what they look like until they are able to fly.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Back from a day on the water. My kayaking partner and I headed inland to the reservoir/river that we “train” on. No power boats, no waves - we can do some extended power strokes to get our upper bodies back in shape.

Tons of turtles basking by noon. Found a very cold & floating Garter Snake. Was able to coax it back to shore where it sat quickly on the first rock.

View attachment 322549

View attachment 322550
Poor little guy or gal. It's good you came along to help ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
See what I mean about your pictures. I never dreamed our baby robins were black and speckled with white until I got the privaledge of viewing one in person. Most people don't get to see baby birds and what they look like until they are able to fly.?
They’re speckled brown rather than black. But I agree they’re cute and it’s definitely a privileged view ogf how they grow and develop ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They’re speckled brown rather than black. But I agree they’re cute and it’s definitely a privileged view ogf how they grow and develop ?
The ones I saw here at my house looked black but it could have been the lighting. I still think the dad was a robin that was in my yard as a baby out of the nest. He would sing with my finches. I found him several places in the yard and just protected him. Even told the neighbors because he was in their whole house air conditioner on a metal part. They stopped mowing there for a few days. Then later, in the year, I kept seeing a robin fly in and out of a low fork in the tree next door. I got pictures of the babies but it wasn't a good camera. I was really surprised at what they looked like compared to the parents.?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The ones I saw here at my house looked black but it could have been the lighting. I still think the dad was a robin that was in my yard as a baby out of the nest. He would sing with my finches. I found him several places in the yard and just protected him. Even told the neighbors because he was in their whole house air conditioner on a metal part. They stopped mowing there for a few days. Then later, in the year, I kept seeing a robin fly in and out of a low fork in the tree next door. I got pictures of the babies but it wasn't a good camera. I was really surprised at what they looked like compared to the parents.?
Your Robins are not European Robins. They’re actually a species of thrush and more closely related to blackbirds.

European Robin - small than the US robin and not a close relation.
15E55DB6-9A2A-45A8-963B-5A319FA1F6F0.jpeg

American Robin. (named by early settlers because its red breast reminded them of the one above)
40252614-D428-4B68-B259-5E0C84E39EBC.jpeg

Blackbird (the female is brown)
F0699088-1C1C-4B77-BBB3-90D1D853C3D3.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Your Robins are not European Robins. They’re actually a species of thrush and more closely related to blackbirds.

View attachment 322575

American Robin. (named by early settlers because its red breast reminded them of the one above)
View attachment 322576

View attachment 322577
Yes. I remember when you told me that a while back. I really appreciate your knowledge of birds. I love them too ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 322575

View attachment 322576

View attachment 322577
Also the picture I posted recently, I think was a female robin. I've never noticed the difference before and from what I read it's hard to tell. She looked really close but just a suttle difference. Less vibrant but since she was different I took a picture and she let me.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I've not tried posting videos and you may already have tried this - but is it something to do with the media icon which is next to the Smileys under the 3 vertical dots?
It asks you to Enter media URL - (no idea what that means).
I will check that out.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey @Ray--Opo where/how are you trying to post videos? Like Lyn said, first post to YT, then copy the YT UTL here into your thread. Ps-i haven’t tried posting a video since all the changes happened.

Ok....trying the old way here.. (Seems to work fine)

I took a video out of my gallery on my phone. I have done it before. Now with the format change, I might have to go the YT method.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

View attachment 322549

View attachment 322550
What kind of snake is that?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I took a video out of my gallery on my phone. I have done it before. Now with the format change, I might have to go the YT method.
Ok my bad! I am losing my mind.???
When I went to use the YT method. I noticed the last video I posted was thru YT.
Don't know where I thought I used my gallery on my phone before. ???

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
On Monday after Easter it's business as usual here. Our 3 day weekend usually starts Friday. But we had mail delivery which used to not happen. I even saw a mail truck yesterday and the grocery stores were open.
Our schools are on the 2 week Easter break until next Monday, but back to normal for everyone else here. The shops were only shut on Easter Sunday and had reduced hours for Good Friday and Easter Monday but they'll be back to normal today too.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning !
Lyn, I wish I could send you some of mine! They are growing everywhere they’re not supposed to be here ?. Little Crusher has got some really nice growth lines goin on already! Maybe he will surprise me this year and do a little catching up!
not a lot in my agenda today.. I’m off the first half of the day for a hair appointment and then lunch with a friend.. the second half I will spend organizing an upgrade project for a paper mill.. ? oh yes, and one Skype meeting with my co workers... .. gotta Go tend the critters now and head out! Have a good day.