COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Guys, I am getting my first russian tortoise! My mom is driving me four and a half hours to get it, too. I'm so excited!
Thats great ! Do you have everything set up ready for him? The caresheet will tell you what substrate etc to get. (coco coir or fine orchid bark I believe - nothing sandy).

If you are buying from a pet store don't let them talk you into spending a fortune on unsuitable water dishes when terracotta plant saucers are safer and much cheaper.

The dial type thermometers are unreliable and a waste of money too -invest in a decent digital thermometer and hygrometer and a digital temp gun.

Also don't buy any coiled or cfl type lamps - they can damage tort eyes!:(
Stores are there to make a proft and generally know very little about tort care so check here before wasting money

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Chilly & overcast today, a few bits of sunshine. Started up our riding mower gave it a few spins up & down the road to blow the leaves about, then a few circles on our woodland loop. Keeps the path visible, leaves mulched. Ogh, keeps the mower happy as well.

Our garlic is growing & looking good.

B268EC8E-CD90-483D-8555-51B664629454.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Chilly & overcast today, a few bits of sunshine. Started up our riding mower gave it a few spins up & down the road to blow the leaves about, then a few circles on our woodland loop. Keeps the path visible, leaves mulched. Ogh, keeps the mower happy as well.

Our garlic is growing & looking good.

View attachment 315736
Boys and their toys!;)
Probably a necessity with all your land!
Sounds like a fun job to do!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
@CarolM How are the lizards doing?
The both of them are doing well. Kahli is getting big. She doesn't like me handling her. Whereas Phoenix is so chilled.

Kahli found the cave behind her food ledge, how she squeezes in there? I just don't know, but somehow she does.

Attachments

• 20210116_092036.jpg
    20210116_092036.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210116_092049.jpg
    20210116_092049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
If you lived closer, I could knock a few of those “hollowed out” log homes for you today. But the price of shipping, i would be able to purchase a new lathe!
Thank you Mark, it is the thought that counts. In the end I didn't get to do any of it. As Hubby didn't want to spend the time to help make them and we ended up not having enough time so we bought three small nest boxes instead.

Attachments

• IMG-20210109-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20210109-WA0003.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210110_145006.jpg
    20210110_145006.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks Carol! I’m going to be fine. I’ve always known that we can’t just shut down because life happens.. besides, I don’t have time to schedule a mental breakdown right now ?... I do think all of those who are suffering because of Covid!
You sure are one strong woman. Here is a double petaled hibiscus flower for you.

Attachments

• 20210115_071807.jpg
    20210115_071807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning/afternoon all.
Another bright and cold day again here.
There is snow threatened on the higher ground but it should miss us in the valley.
All change next week with the return of some rain but slightly warmer.
I'm a bit bored today,
I have lots of things to do but just mundane stuff.
Lola is still in his hide - sensible tort!
Hope you all have a good day.
Hi Lyn.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Bright, cold & sunny. I’m slowly taking down some Christmas lights from our porch balusters. No rush....
Stephen decided he wanted Christmas to last longer so refused to allow me to take the Christmas tree and decorations down. I learnt a long time ago to pick my battles, sooooo the tree is still up. ???

Alecks

Oskaloosa
Thats great ! Do you have everything set up ready for him? The caresheet will tell you what substrate etc to get. (coco coir or fine orchid bark I believe - nothing sandy).

If you are buying from a pet store don't let them talk you into spending a fortune on unsuitable water dishes when terracotta plant saucers are safer and much cheaper.

The dial type thermometers are unreliable and a waste of money too -invest in a decent digital thermometer and hygrometer and a digital temp gun.

Also don't buy any coiled or cfl type lamps - they can damage tort eyes!:(
Stores are there to make a proft and generally know very little about tort care so check here before wasting money
Thanks for the info!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hope it all goes well Ray, I'll be thinking of you.
Everything went well and back at home. When they took the growth out and cut it in half. They found a peice of wood about 3/8" long. The doctor figured it was some debris that didn't get washed out after the accident.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I was driving home from the store. The street is a 6 lane, three in each direction, and the speed limit is 50mph. I was in the far left lane behind about 4 cars and there was no one in either of the other two lanes. My lane was going too slow to suit me, so I yanked the steering wheel to the right and accelerated. The truck started wildly going back and forth, back and forth. I don't remember the steering wheel moving in my hands, but I was so scared, I just might not be remembering. After a few seconds it stopped swinging and I was in the far right lane. Thank goodness there were no other cars, because I had no control. The rest of the way home is a straight shot except for the turn onto my street and up my driveway, but I drove sedately home with no further problem. I have an appointment at the mechanic for tomorrow to have everything under the front end checked. I'm going to drop the truck off tonight when there's minimal traffic and I can drive slowly.
Oh my word. I am glad that there were no other cars in those lanes either.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What do ya'll use for uvb lights?
Arcadia makes a 5.0 HO flouresnt type light. The CFL looped or coiled type UVB bulbs are hard on their eyes.
Is Oskaloosa in Florida? If so if you can get your tort outside 2 to 3 times a week supervised in the sunshine for a hr. Then you can get away from a UVB bulb. Sunlight through glass or screen dosen't count.