COLD DARK ROOM

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I have a huge one in my conservatory. It has spun a really dense web. I don't like to destroy the web, he's doing me a favour getting all the little flies that make there way in.
'If you want to live and thrive let the spider run alive'
Another had spun a web across my door. I walked into it this morning making me run for my hairbrush to make sure it wasn't crawling about on me.
Surprising really to build one in a place that's used so regularly.
They can cover a lot of ground with their webs surprisingly quickly.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Good evening all. We are home after a good day at the tennis. We got home at 7.30pm and it was 31C/88F. Goodness only knows how hot it was the peak!

Eastbourne temperatures, helped by the sea no doubt, were far better.

It has cooled down to 29C now, but we will have the fan on tonight.

Joe would have spent a day like today under a bush and probably only come out to eat about now when the sun has gone off the lawn and things are a little cooler.
It was still 32 degrees at 8pm here. Good thing about the coast is that there is always a nice breeze;)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What's a kraken? I don't think we have those in the US.

One of these monsters

The kraken is a legendary cephalopod-like sea monster of giant size in Scandinavian folklore. According to the Norse sagas, the kraken dwells off the coasts of Norway and Greenland and terrorizes nearby sailors.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think it's a garden spider, these ones can and will bite but it's not dangerous.
Yea we have spiders that bite but aren't dangerous too. I've only been bit once in 65 years. Some parts of the US have poisonous spiders that are being shipped to my state on flowers ...like brown recluse. Yet I lived in Florida and never got bit by one. I got mad when that harmless spider bit me. It became dead meat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It looked scorching at the tennis on the tv. There isn't really any shelter is there?
Very little. We had our picnic lunch under some trees at the edge of the site. Having been there before, we made a beeline for it when we arrived and had a good perching spot on the wall.

In the court we were sat in the west stand, so at least we got shade as the sun started to get lower (about half way through the men’s final)

All the regular tennis fans are easily identified by their broad brim hat, long sleeved lightweight shirt with a collar to turn up and trousers/skirt long enough to keep their knees covered.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
The wind has really picked up here tonight so it is much cooler, and temps will be down by about 10 degrees tomorrow.
It's funny, I want it to be sunny for the torts but I don't like it when it's too warm. I wonder what temperature it needs to be for a tort to go " Nah this is too hot for me mate" :D

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It's funny, I want it to be sunny for the torts but I don't like it when it's too warm. I wonder what temperature it needs to be for a tort to go " Nah this is too hot for me mate" :D

Once it hits about 90F....our Sully is pretty happy to just sit and chill out.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well it was 28C here but probably in the high 40s in my garden and Lola wasn't keen to venture out until it cooled down.

It it's too hot for them they can aestivate which =
aestivate (verb)
ZOOLOGY

1. (of an insect, fish, or amphibian) spend a hot or dry period in a prolonged state of torpor or dormancy.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
One of these monsters

The kraken is a legendary cephalopod-like sea monster of giant size in Scandinavian folklore. According to the Norse sagas, the kraken dwells off the coasts of Norway and Greenland and terrorizes nearby sailors.
Ok I guess I won't wake up and have to kill a stupid kraken. I live inland.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Well it was 28C here but probably in the high 40s in my garden and Lola wasn't keen to venture out until it cooled down.

It it's too hot for them they can aestivate which =
aestivate (verb)
ZOOLOGY

1. (of an insect, fish, or amphibian) spend a hot or dry period in a prolonged state of torpor or dormancy.

Yes, but they don’t “aestivatel ‘cause of one or two or three “hot” days. I’m sure torts that grow up in hot dry arid regions will do that, BUT a hot day here n there is probably comforting n cozy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That "kracken" has the same body shape as a black widow spider, and they BITE!!!

I don't know if my wasps have evolved to be not as lethal or if I've developed an immunity. I received another wasp sting today and it was only mildly burning for about ten minutes then nothing. Now it's a bit itchy. This nest was on the underside of the 2x4 across the bottom of the gate from the backyard. I had opened the gate to allow visitors (two really cute little girls 4 and 6, and their grandparents to go through and I was standing there waiting to close the gate when I heard the tell tale buzzing near my ear. I was so engrossed in waving my hand by my ear that I didn't realize there was one getting me on my other side.

Thursday when I went shopping I bought four cans of wasp killer spray. I was able to treat eight nests, but I missed the one on the gate. After I spray them I knock them down and step on them to squish the larvae.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Joe would head for cover at about 25C. The official temperature is of course the temperature in the shade, so at tortoise level in full sun it would be much hotter and torts don’t like it too hot as they can’t thermoregulate.

On days like today, he would be up and grazing the weeds in the lawn very early and very late (dawn and dusk) ... sometimes after dark.