COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Good morning Carol!
The wedding was lovely - quite informal and a good time was had by all.
The brides family and friends from Ohio and other parts of the world all seemed to enjoy themselves before returning home a couple of days ago
Her Dad was quite emotional as his wife died suddenly just before Xmas so it was a difficult time for him, having to travel here and see his first daughter married without her by his side, but he was well supported by everyone and got through it.
A couple of days after it were also spent with family who had traveled to Wales and I've been busy this week running around returning the 5 jackets I bought.

I hope everyone is OK here, I see I have a few pages to catch up on here so I'd better get cracking.
I'm glad you're back and sounds like you had some fun...and also it sounds like you're getting back to what must have been your busyness as a teacher.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I’m beat. Two weeks of solid house maintenance top to bottom to get our Townhouse in Virginia on the market today!

Everything is clean, tidy, replaced, refreshed and all repainted, inside and out! Refreshed the cozy garden, powerwashed everything outside. Shampooed the carpets, replaced/updated smoke detectors, replaced furnace filters, powerwashed and stained the deck, 10 bags of mulch to the garden, new plants, 6 bags of stone to the walkway, painted the fence, replaced toilet seats x 3, replaced all lightbulbs, installed a new clean outdoor light, rebuilt a water/planter retaining wall, repainted interior of garage. Installed new drapes, recaulked the showers and bath areas. Windows cleaned. Repaired, repainted exterior porch column.

Wifey finishing off one last floor of vacuuming.....and we’re ready for an Open House tomorrow.

Time to now cut some grass today at our real home....(the messy one) !

Sully never missed us, had her meals and enjoyed the rain, sun and humid conditions.
Good luck with your open house! I don't know how you keep up with it all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I’m beat. Two weeks of solid house maintenance top to bottom to get our Townhouse in Virginia on the market today!

Everything is clean, tidy, replaced, refreshed and all repainted, inside and out! Refreshed the cozy garden, powerwashed everything outside. Shampooed the carpets, replaced/updated smoke detectors, replaced furnace filters, powerwashed and stained the deck, 10 bags of mulch to the garden, new plants, 6 bags of stone to the walkway, painted the fence, replaced toilet seats x 3, replaced all lightbulbs, installed a new clean outdoor light, rebuilt a water/planter retaining wall, repainted interior of garage. Installed new drapes, recaulked the showers and bath areas. Windows cleaned. Repaired, repainted exterior porch column.

Wifey finishing off one last floor of vacuuming.....and we’re ready for an Open House tomorrow.

Sully never missed us, had her meals and enjoyed the rain, sun and humid conditions.
And now you want to move in and keep it for yourselvrs!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
And now you want to move in and keep it for yourselvrs!!!

Nagh...id get bored very quickly. Very small fenced in garden. Good for a “city slicker” who travels, works a lot of hours and doesnt want or need a big grassy lawn to maintain.

The “garden”

EB3942F8-D66C-43F7-A7A2-7FF393BBF0A4.jpeg

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Good luck with that!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Opo is doing good. When I was in my dark hole I was thinking about getting rid of Opo. I also told ZEROPILOT that I am not able to take Wild Child. I just don't know what the future will bring.
Anyways a few of Opo's antics and he changed my mind.
I'm glad you are feeling better now Ray.
I only have to see Lola's funny face looking up at me to cheer myself up.
Photo0385_001.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've never had one, but have always wanted a standard poodle. My aunt and uncle had one for many years.
We had a poodle when I was growing up. The first was a black miniature I think rather than a toy (not the smallest anyway)he was called Pete the Poodle. My sisters also bought my dad an apricot of the same size a few years after we lost Pete. That one was called Sandy and they were both very intelligent dogs.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
@Bee62 : I accidentally caught my foot in the cord plugging in my speakers and pulled it out of the computer. If I want to plug it back in I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight. I'm not up to that at the moment, but I promise, I'll listen to your two songs just as soon as I can make myself get down there and plug in the cord! At any rate, thank you so much for singing for us. I really do enjoy it.
That sucks. You're probably a little like me then. I can get on the floor easy...it's getting up that's the problem. I can almost hear me yelling to my life alert thingy..."no I got on the floor and got stuck and I can't get up!"

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Opo is doing good. When I was in my dark hole I was thinking about getting rid of Opo. I also told ZEROPILOT that I am not able to take Wild Child. I just don't know what the future will bring.
Anyways a few of Opo's antics and he changed my mind.
Hello Ray opo! And your Rose. My little Saphire keeps me determined also.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thanks Ellie May, for awhile my wife was tending to Opo. She said there were a few days that Opo stayed in his tunnel all day. She kept saying Opo missed me. At that time I was pondering on getting rid of Opo and was distancing myself. Strange thoughts creep in your head when you're in a dark hole.
Anyways all is good with Opo still persistent, stubborn and demanding and also cute.

I understand strange thoughts though I can’t imagine the struggles you must go through... I know it’s got to be hard to give a crap lots of times... but I hope you do. I’m sure your wife and many others depend on you in ways you dont even realize. It seems like your pulling yourself right around now and I betcha Opo is sure glad[emoji16].... I’d like to hear more about those antics of his that cheered u up:))

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Crap! That reads like a years worth of maintenance crammed into one weekend!!! I’m wondering if you and wifey are super heroes in disguise??

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That sucks. You're probably a little like me then. I can get on the floor easy...it's getting up that's the problem. I can almost hear me yelling to my life alert thingy..."no I got on the floor and got stuck and I can't get up!"

LOL!!! The joke that never gets old [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Good for a “city slicker” who travels, works a lot of hours and doesnt want or need a big grassy lawn to maintain.

The “garden”

View attachment 274711

Hmmm...I think I'm on a forum with a guy who used to be just like that. [emoji57]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, I finally bit the bullet and called The Weedman. We had such a wet winter that the weeds around the property have gotten way ahead of me. I got an estimate from this weed company to spray and kill all the weeds. It will only be about $150 to do the whole property outside the tortoise yards. That's really not a bad price considering it's about an acre of land. So now I'm going to set aside a few bucks every payday and save up to have them do a pre-emergent spray in the Fall so I won't have this problem again. I don't know why the pre-emergent costs so much more than the kill shot does, but to spray in the fall it's going to be about $450. This is a big load off my mind. I've been having to go out there every morning and 'drive' the line trimmer until the battery dies. That's just too much work for me at the expense of leaving my other chores un done. So now I can get back to cutting firewood, picking up tortoise poop, scrubbing waterers, putting tools away, taking plants out of the greenhouse, repotting and pruning plants, mowing tortoise yards, trimming branches off trees, cleaning up the trash people have tossed out of car windows, inspecting turtles and tortoises. . . I'm getting tired just thinking about it. Maybe I'll just go back to bed!

Is there any problem with just letting it run wild? You don’t use it for torts and it’s much better for wildlife such as our all-important bees when left unsprayed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

It must look great now! You probably need some kayak trips to recover!