COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
When the UK tv went digital a company called Freeview was rolled out and they do have quite a lot of channels but because I live in a valley I can't get the full range, yet quarter of a mile up the hill they get the full choice. Maybe I need a better aerial but tv's just not a priority for me.
In fact if I had to give up one thing from my house I would happily lose the tv.
Do you have to pay for TV license in the US and SA?
My Mum has the same problem in Buxton. She only gets a limited range of Freeview channels

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No TV “license” like you all have in the UK. We don’t have secret government TV hunters in vans out looking for people “illegally” receiving TV signals.
Our license was introduced to fund the state broadcasting service, the BBC, many years ago. The BBC isn't allowed to take advertising by law. So while people moan about the license fee, they need to persuade the government to cha ge the law to allow the BBC to advertise before it can be scrapped. Even the BBC seems to want it, but the politiciqns don't [emoji849]

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Our license was introduced to fund the state broadcasting service, the BBC, many years ago. The BBC isn't allowed to take advertising by law. So while people moan about the license fee, they need to persuade the government to cha ge the law to allow the BBC to advertise before it can be scrapped. Even the BBC seems to want it, but the politiciqns don't [emoji849]
Sometimes the ads are better than the actual programmes!
With the exception of Blue Planet.
When that was on I would sit and watch it in complete darkness so that it felt like looking through a window into the sea.
I suppose wearing goggles. flippers and a snorkel to watch it was a bit silly but I'm all for immersing myself in the experience (pardon the pun). :)

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well I'd better go and soak Lola and try to persuade him to eat something today.
So far he has ignored the plates of various favourite foods I've put out for him.
Lets see if a nice warm bath helps.
Not see you later.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When that was on I would sit and watch it in complete darkness so that it felt like looking through a window into the sea.
I suppose wearing goggles. flippers and a snorkel to watch it was a bit silly but I'm all for immersing myself in the experience (pardon the pun). :)

[emoji1][emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Whahaha Love it. I should do that. I mean my hubby and kids would think it was normal for me.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well I'd better go and soak Lola and try to persuade him to eat something today.
So far he has ignored the plates of various favourite foods I've put out for him.
Lets see if a nice warm bath helps.
Not see you later.
Shame. I don't know about you but I was brought up that you cannot leave food on your plate as there are lots of people who don't have any food. So when my torts don't eat all of their food I always cringe and feel so terrible. ESPECIALLY as I went to all that trouble of going to find it and harvest it as well.[emoji16] [emoji4] [emoji16] [emoji4]

Bee62

Germany
Good afternoon/evening all, it's been busy in here today.
Lola is going to have more blood tests on Tuesday rather than today because of the weekend, and I told her Joe's story so she will test for testosterone too.
She thinks he is still looking well and is very strong in spite of his lack of appetite and weight loss which isn't surprising given how active he's been and how little he's eaten.
The vet suggested trying the ultrasound again today with a stronger sedative but I am worried that the probe may hurt him if it didn't work so asked for a less intrusive scan. I know it will cost me more but better safe than sorry.
She is going to arrange a scan for him for next week and will ring me to let me know where we have to go.
He's had a poop this afternoon and there was some undigested food amongst it but given his reluctance to sit still and absorb uvb either indoors or out I'm not really surprised.
He has barely eaten at all today but paced relentlessly, so while I'm glad he's not listless it worries me that he will wear himself out!
It wears me out just watching him!
So the saga continues...............................
Oh, poor Lyn. Allow me to hug you virtuell. These ups and downs with Lola are exausting. I hope all went well by the VET-check.