Coconut coir

Scottyoh123

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey guys hope you are all well today :)....

I am just looking into coconut coir I think I need a change of substrate due to the fact there is a lot of mixed opinions of the pro rep substrate I use so I'm changing it up for the little guy

I just have a few questions..

1. How often do you change the coconut noir weekly monthly?

2. I'm guessing you add water to it from the word go? And if so do I then need to spray it daily like I do for the other substrates or does it hold its moisture?

3. Any other advice you guys have on this matter would be awesome :)

I have a big issue with humidity at the moment living in the UK I didn't think I would haa but I am getting a hydrometer so that I can monitor this a lot more and getting some moss in to help with the humidity but I think the new substrate with help the little guy :) that do you think?

Thank you all in advance for your reply

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As with any substrate, you dump water in and mix with your hands so it is damp and not wet.

Surface spraying helps with humidity too. Exactly how much water you'll need to spray and mix with the substrate depends on your home. It's not an exact science. You have to go by the hygrometer.

You shouldn't need to change the substrate often. Spot cleaning should be enough

Scottyoh123

UK
As with any substrate, you dump water in and mix with your hands so it is damp and not wet.

Surface spraying helps with humidity too. Exactly how much water you'll need to spray and mix with the substrate depends on your home. It's not an exact science. You have to go by the hygrometer.

You shouldn't need to change the substrate often. Spot cleaning should be enough

Thank you so much would you say cocunut coir is a good substrate? As I don't really want to use top soil

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Preference varies on TFO.

What people won't recommend is sand either on its own or as part of a mix as there is a risk of impaction in the gut.

After that, it's what suits you in your environment and climate.

Coco coir, orchid bark and cypress mulch are among the most popular. Clean top soil (either from a garden centre or your own garden if you trust it), compost (without vermiculite) and peat are preferred by others.

I'm sure there are others, but my mind has gone blank and that probably means they don't get mentioned as often!

Scottyoh123

UK
Preference varies on TFO.

What people won't recommend is sand either on its own or as part of a mix as there is a risk of impaction in the gut.

After that, it's what suits you in your environment and climate.

Coco coir, orchid bark and cypress mulch are among the most popular. Clean top soil (either from a garden centre or your own garden if you trust it), compost (without vermiculite) and peat are preferred by others.

I'm sure there are others, but my mind has gone blank and that probably means they don't get mentioned as often!

Haaa thank you I will use coconut coir from now on :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you bake the coir at 250 for about 3 hours before wetting it, it will kill any little bugs/eggs that may be in it. They are usually just tiny fruit fly looking bugs that some get, not a problem, just a nuisance. I like coir the best. It holds its moisture really well and won't mold. Like mentioned, spot clean and you shouldnt have to change it. If you pat it down, and place some flat rock around the water dish, it will help to keep the coir from sticking to your tort.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you bake the coir at 250 for about 3 hours before wetting it, it will kill any little bugs/eggs that may be in it. They are usually just tiny fruit fly looking bugs that some get, not a problem, just a nuisance. I like coir the best. It holds its moisture really well and won't mold. Like mentioned, spot clean and you shouldnt have to change it. If you pat it down, and place some flat rock around the water dish, it will help to keep the coir from sticking to your tort.
@wellington is the other side of the Atlantic where their ovens are in Farenheit.

Units are important - 250F is what is meant probably

We have ovens in Celcius - That's 120C!!

Tagged in case she disagrees.

Scottyoh123

UK

Thank you very much :) do you just throw the coir in on a tray or tin foil it? Also on another side note if I was to get some weeds and that from the garden do I boil them or just give them a wash?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you very much :) do you just throw the coir in on a tray or tin foil it? Also on another side note if I was to get some weeds and that from the garden do I boil them or just give them a wash?
I place mine on tin foil that I cover the pan with. You could do it either way, wrapped in foil or not.
As for the stuff from your garden, just rinse if you want. I don't do anything to the leafs. I usually use them in the fall, when they have fallen from the trees and most bugs from summer are gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Baking new coir is a pointless waste of time. The substrate flies don't come with the coir. They are present in the environment around your home right now, and they simply move in to the lovely warm damp environment that you've created for them. They are harmless detrivores, so you can simply ignore them. If you are bothered by them, you can bake, boil, freeze or replace the substrate every two or three weeks.

As for garden weeds, I don't do anything to clean them. I cut them with scissors, or just pluck them by hand and put them in the food bowl. You can rinse them if you like. The extra water that sticks to them will be good for your tortoise.

As far as substrate recommendations, it varies with the species and size. What have you got?

Scottyoh123

UK
Baking new coir is a pointless waste of time. The substrate flies don't come with the coir. They are present in the environment around your home right now, and they simply move in to the lovely warm damp environment that you've created for them. They are harmless detrivores, so you can simply ignore them. If you are bothered by them, you can bake, boil, freeze or replace the substrate every two or three weeks.

As for garden weeds, I don't do anything to clean them. I cut them with scissors, or just pluck them by hand and put them in the food bowl. You can rinse them if you like. The extra water that sticks to them will be good for your tortoise.

As far as substrate recommendations, it varies with the species and size. What have you got?

Awesome I will bake it just because that will annoy me haa and change it went it gets to much :)

And I have a Hermann only 2.5 years old at the moment in 3ft which was a vivarium but I changed the glass for slates of wood high enough so he can't jump out for ventilation :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome I will bake it just because that will annoy me haa and change it went it gets to much :)

And I have a Hermann only 2.5 years old at the moment in 3ft which was a vivarium but I changed the glass for slates of wood high enough so he can't jump out for ventilation :)

Vivariums are better. Tortoises don't need ventilation unless the room air is the desired temps and humidity that you are trying to create for them in the enclosure. "Ventilation" means you are losing your warm humid air and replacing it with cooler dry air from the room. Tortoises, especially young ones, do best in closed chambers where the environmental parameters can be better controlled. Open tops make things very difficult and inefficient.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought tortoise tables are the best though?
They are not. Closed in chambers are actually better for all the reasons "they" say they are bad. Ventilation is not good if the incoming air is too dry and too cold, which most room air is. The idea is to hold in your warmer more humid air, rather than letting it mix and dissipate with the room air.

The only problem with vivariums and tanks is that all of the commercially made options are too small for anything but a baby. This means we all have to have one custom made, or make one ourselves. I've been buying mine from Animal Plastics here in the states, but I don't know what companies make them over there in the UK.