Coconut coir?

leaf2002

5 Year Member
So, I have heard a lot about the right and wrong sort of substrate to use and the main ones seem to be top soil and coconut coir. Im think of doing both for my tortoises enclosures but when ever I look up coconut coir to buy from shops it seems to be sold in blocks. So my question is that are you ment to crush it up your self or are you meant to buy special already crushed coconut coir? Thanks!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
You can buy it in blocks or loose in bags. When you buy it in blocks you are meant to rehydrate it with warm/hot water. You add the specified amount of water and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then squeeze out any excess water and you're good to go.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Don't even need warm or hot water. I put a block in a bucket, with several small holes drilled in the bottom, fill it with the hose once or twice and let it drain out the bottom

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I strongly recommend coconut coir, it doesn't smell or get mouldy and stays crumbly soft which is great for small torts to burrow, even with the heat it only needs rehydrating once a week

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
yeah I like the coir. I like watching the block in the water... it's like it's alive when it soaks it all up and starts expanding!

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
In the uk coconut coir is called coconut fibre it's a great substrate I recommend 3 inches deep

And there's a lot in the little blocks

hbos03

5 Year Member
Can u mix coconut fibre and soft sand together and use this??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
hbos03 said:
Can u mix coconut fibre and soft sand together and use this??

I am not use to the term "soft" sand. I use children's playsand mixed in with mine with the sand being less then 20%. If you have a healthy and hydrated tortoise you should not have an impaction problem. Some folks disagree with this, but then again sand is in most soils naturally.

hbos03

5 Year Member
Thanks I use playsand but with about half a block of coco fibre as I wasn't sure how moist the fibre should be as I was scared my Greek would not like it.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I recently seen pre-crushed coconut coir in a bag being sold at PetSmart. The blocks are a much better value though.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Excellent idea from Redstrike. And as it gets closer to springtime, Target has the blocks for 2.47. In the garden area, near the seeds. I stocked up this last year. But wait! coco coir can be cleaned with boiling water and drained, and reused! One of our experts says he has cleaned and reused his substrate for 2 years now. Like! : )

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think the hardest part of comparing coir is that every site/seller describes it in different ways. kgs, pounds, liters, quarts, cu.ft, gallons, etc.

If you want to buy online, I would look at Amazon first. If you buy a large quantity of it, the amount you can save in shipping alone pays for your prime membership.

I haven't bought from this place in a while, and the price has gone up quite a bit (was $119 last time I bought), but this is still one of the best online values I know of for non- Amazon prime users.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-10-pound-...894837?pt=US_Garden_Tools&hash=item4837fbcf75

80 pounds, shipped $149. When I looked at other sites/sellers, the shipping is

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
I have seen the blocks and the loose coco coir but the blocks tend to have a lot more in it for a better value because it's compacted and then as you soak chunks , it all spreads into different pieces . :)