Coconut coil/ants

Kathy holder

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
I was wondering could new bricks of coconut coil contain ants? Cuz I have ants in my tortoise bedding. I took my tortoise outside the 2nd day I had him with his food and water dish. I saw a couple ants on the food dish, killed them. But every day I keep seeing ants, more than was on the dish. I remove the ants I see. The only thing that I can think to have so many ants is that it was in the coil. I got the coil from petsmart.

Maitaimommy

Coconut fiber from petsmart doesn't contain ants. I typically use that for my tort and I've never seen any. It must have occured while outside:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have bought several brands of Coco coir and read many posts on the forum about it but never heard of it containing ants.
Some bake their coir or freeze it before use, but I've never found that necessary.

Kathy holder

Montana
So will the ants hurt my tortoise? I have been looking closely at Russ to see if he has bites, nothing, I never see them on him. Without a queen(ant) I'm assuming the ants will die off. I am still searching the bedding and no longer leave food out in the pen. Just water and the dish stays outside except to be washed. Thanks for the reply(s).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It depends on the type of ant.
Some ants are certainly dangerous, some, like fire ants can be lethal.
Is it you indoor or outdoor enclosure ?
Either way the ants must have come from somewhere other than the coir.

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Howdy All,
I recently added plants picked off the terrace and transplanted them into my juvenile rfs outdoor enclosure. A few days on, ants running all over the place. A quick check back at the flower pots on the terrace did confirm ants had settled in...
Got me worried since the torts have nowhere to escape to.
So I volunteered my wife to stick her hand in, hold still for a bit, and then stir things up.The ants got nuts, running frantically around, but not a single bite.
My wife was relieved, and so was I :)

I've actually seen Dumb & Dumber locking their aim at a few ants , and missing miserably.

I assume ants are a natural occurrence in the wild. As long as they are not the aggressive type, they might actually be a positive addition. Ants may love tort poo and veggies / fruits leftovers are clearly a delicacy. They hopefully help me keep the place tidy.
And then my torts can polish that hunting instinct of theirs !!!

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Kathy holder

Montana
Howdy All,
I recently added plants picked off the terrace and transplanted them into my juvenile rfs outdoor enclosure. A few days on, ants running all over the place. A quick check back at the flower pots on the terrace did confirm ants had settled in...
Got me worried since the torts have nowhere to escape to.
So I volunteered my wife to stick her hand in, hold still for a bit, and then stir things up.The ants got nuts, running frantically around, but not a single bite.
My wife was relieved, and so was I :)

I've actually seen Dumb & Dumber locking their aim at a few ants , and missing miserably.

I assume ants are a natural occurrence in the wild. As long as they are not the aggressive type, they might actually be a positive addition. Ants may love tort poo and veggies / fruits leftovers are clearly a delicacy. They hopefully help me keep the place tidy.
And then my torts can polish that hunting instinct of theirs !!!

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Kathy holder

Montana
I checked today and evening, I did not see any ants Yea! They usually hide under the dishes and tile I have in his pen. I'll keep checking.