Ants in new bag of Substrate

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Boiling, baking, and microwaving are all effective methods. I would strongly recommend sifting through that pet branded substrate to make sure no metal bits are inside before microwaving.

I have boiled and baked my substrates. I personally prefer boiling and pouring method.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Follow the ants to see where they are coming from. They really couldn't survive for very long in a package of substrate sitting on a store shelf. They most likely came for your environment and will return again for food and moisture. Indoors in a dry heated house, they are often seeking moisture. I find the the Terro Ant Baits work very well in this situation and since they are Borax based, they are relatively non-toxic. Find the trail, but the bait in the trail, and let them swarm on it and carry it back the the queen and the rest of the colony. After a day or two, the whole colony just disappears never to be seen again, but you have to leave them alone to do their work. It drives my wife crazy to have to let them run amok on her kitchen counter, but she knows now if she just leaves them alone and lets them take the bait, they will all disappear for good.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Follow the ants to see where they are coming from. They really couldn't survive for very long in a package of substrate sitting on a store shelf. They most likely came for your environment and will return again for food and moisture. Indoors in a dry heated house, they are often seeking moisture. I find the the Terro Ant Baits work very well in this situation and since they are Borax based, they are relatively non-toxic. Find the trail, but the bait in the trail, and let them swarm on it and carry it back the the queen and the rest of the colony. After a day or two, the whole colony just disappears never to be seen again, but you have to leave them alone to do their work. It drives my wife crazy to have to let them run amok on her kitchen counter, but she knows now if she just leaves them alone and lets them take the bait, they will all disappear for good.
Tom do you place the ant traps where your torts have access to them or place the to be protected from the torts?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I put them in the path of the ant trail outside the tortoise enclosures.
Thank you Tom. I found 3 dead bees in Opo's hide the other day. Couldn't find any sting wounds on Opo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe your bag of coir contained ant eggs? But more than likely the ants came in from outside after you had the enclosure all set up.