Coco fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
Hello all I have just got a coco fiber brick it says to add 3to4 litters in to it and mix but it dose not say hot or cold? Dose any one know? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You just put the brick into a 5 gallon bucket and add water from the hose. It doesn't matter how much water, because once the brick is all fallen apart, you're going to dump the water off.

S

Svetlana'smom

Cold is fine - it wil lsit for the 30 minutes so it will be cold by the time you place it in the enclosure - you will want to wring out alot of the excess water and let it air dry for a bit

garon

5 Year Member
Right okay thanks should I wait till tomorrow to put it in? Till it's dryed out?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
No you want it a little damp just not dripping wet. So squeezing as much water of as you can should be sufficient.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Cold water will work, but hot water works SO much faster. Long ago I ordered a few bricks from a terrarium supply site. I put a couple in a bucket of cold water, and even let it sit overnight. I still had to manually break them apart and it took forever. Then I was left with a soupy mess at the bottom.

Next time I dropped a couple bricks of the same stuff in a bucket I filled with boiling water (1 650 gram brick to 1 gallon of water), then covered it to trap the steam. Within 10 minutes the bucket was filled to the top with fluffy coir and hardly any excess water. All I had to do was dump it in the enclosure and spread it around.

How the brick breaks apart may depend on the brand, but always use hot water now.

garon

5 Year Member
I have used cold water this time but at least I know for newt time thanks!
I had to squeeze all the excess water out of it. Wasn't very nice lol

Status
Not open for further replies.