Coco fiber brick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
I am going out for all new substrate ect. I have been told on hear my substrate is not very good so is it coco fiber brick I need for my russian? Reply soon please as I need to get there b for it closes thanks

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Coco fiber (coconut coir) works well to help retain some moisture but it should really be mixed with some other soil based substrate material. By itself it will dry out rapidly and become dusty under heat and light.

garon

5 Year Member
Well am going to pets at home could you give me some more eg of substrate so I can see if I can get that from there? Thanks

S

Svetlana'smom

I have dedicated 1/2 of the enclosure to the coco fiber and the other half is the reptile mulch - I put in the coco fiber yesterday for the first time and she wondered the enclosure and then dug down deep and poked her head up at me like "thanks, Mom" - I also sterlized some rocks and slate for the enclosure

garon

5 Year Member
I have just checked on line and the shop am going to dose not seam to sell that, is there any thin els I can mix it with? Thank you

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
garon said:
I have just checked on line and the shop am going to dose not seam to sell that, is there any thin els I can mix it with? Thank you

I would mix it with organic top soil.

garon

5 Year Member
Okay thank you I will go and get them both now and ask more advice on how to mix when I get back

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
garon said:
Well am going to pets at home could you give me some more eg of substrate so I can see if I can get that from there? Thanks
A better (and less expensive) place to find substrate material is at a local garden center, Lowe's or Home Depot. Any potting or topsoil labeled as "organic" will do. Organic soils do not contain chemical insecticides, pesticides or fertilizers. Clean, non-toxic soil from outdoors does the same thing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.