Coconut fiber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznwinx

5 Year Member
I just started using coco fiber and I have just seen some getting stuck around the eyes. Should I change the substrate or is it fine? Also is it okay if they eat a bit of the coco fiber from time to time? Thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I believe some people try and pack it down to reduce the mess. How moist do you keep it? Be careful that the tort doesn't ingest too much. What types of food do you offer and do you have a food plate that keeps the food coir-free? I'm not a coco user so hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir does not cause impactions. However, you should still feed them on a flat rock or tile.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Coco Fiber is an excellent choice. Its messy but it sure does help in raising healthy torts. What's great about it is that it's plant material so of they eat it, it won't harm them. Like was mentioned though its still best to feed them on a clean surface. Though be it messy it's good for them and they sure do love burrowing in it!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Stop by any home improvement store and buy the slate floor squares. That will help keep the coir off the food and it helps trim their beaks.

Should be able to buy them one at a time for a reasonable price.

Th coco coir does a nice job of holding moisture yet avoiding mold. You can buy a 3 pack of brick shaped blocks for about 5 to 8 dollars.

Good luck.

aznwinx

5 Year Member
WillTortoise said:
Stop by any home improvement store and buy the slate floor squares. That will help keep the coir off the food and it helps trim their beaks.

Should be able to buy them one at a time for a reasonable price.

Th coco coir does a nice job of holding moisture yet avoiding mold. You can buy a 3 pack of brick shaped blocks for about 5 to 8 dollars.

Good luck.
Thank you very much!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I find that adding a little of my home made organic compost to the coir makes it behave well, not dusty or dragged into the water dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.