Coco coir gets into Albino sulcata hatchling's eyes. helpp

Taco*mom

I have just acquired new tort additions two days ago and was waiting for the dust to settle down before I introduce them to the forum. But this late afternoon when I soaked them, I noticed that the coco coir has gotten into one of the tortoise's both eyes. I was freaked out. I soaked it for 45 minutes trying to get the coir out naturally. I tried spraying the eyes with water. I also tried swabbing it very gently with cotton bud. All has no result. It can still open its eyes and walk avoiding things in its path. But sometimes it's truing to rub its eyes with its front leg and nodding awkwardly. I am so scared. Albino's eyes are very sensitive and now it has this problem. I live where tortoise is not a common pet and I have to order everything online. Thus the vet knows nothing about tortoises.

Any advice? Please please help..
@Tom , @Yvonne G, @deadheadvet, @maggie3fan or anybody else that I can't think due to pannicking right now.

Attachments

• 2016-11-22 19.07.50.jpg
    2016-11-22 19.07.50.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:

Taco*mom

Attachments

• tmp_8733-2016-11-22 19.08.20156460552.jpg
    tmp_8733-2016-11-22 19.08.20156460552.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 46
  • tmp_8733-2016-11-22 19.08.571076055219.jpg
    tmp_8733-2016-11-22 19.08.571076055219.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 48
  • tmp_8733-2016-11-22 19.09.201259396950.jpg
    tmp_8733-2016-11-22 19.09.201259396950.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 46

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Seems like a long soak and some spray from a hand held water sprayer would get that out.

This is one reason why I keep saying that I don't like coir for this species. I prefer fine grade orchid bark.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Ohh.. i am too newbie to give any advices.. i think i can summon one member i can think of right now @JoesMum
Oh i believe @wellington also has something to say.
Probably you need to wait a bit, most of them almost wake up from sleep.
Hope everything fine. i use coir too. mine sometimes rub his eyes too, but now it becomes lesser and lesser

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Seems like a long soak and some spray from a hand held water sprayer would get that out.

This is one reason why I keep saying that I don't like coir for this species. I prefer fine grade orchid bark.
I think I'd go with what @Tom said. Patience, long soaks and a hand held water sprayer.

@Yvonne G may have further ideas.

Taco*mom

Maybe I didn't spray it long enough. I'll try that again tomorrow. It's late in the night now and that poor tortoise is asleep. I know it's not your favorite, Tom. But none of your suggestion is available here in my country. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would too just keep soaking and gently let the water drip over his face, using your hand to drip the water. I love coir and never had a problem. Be sure to pat it down tight, that will help from it being spread all over.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Taco*mom

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Do you keep the the coir damp? By damp I mean do you tip water in and mix it up with your hands so it is evenly damp throughout? The coir should not be dry.

2. You say you were planning on introducing this tort to another. Are you aware that new tortoises should be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months to make sure that neither makes the other sick. On top of that Sulcatas don't do well as pairs. Bullying is common, especially in a smaller indoor enclosure. They're not social and don't get lonely and will be much happier and healthier apart.

EDIT
I have just reread your opening post and may have misunderstood what you were saying about keeping them together. Apologies if I got this wrong.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I use coco coir for youngsters all the time, try and keep it a little moist. Soaking should take care of it. If they ingest it, nothing happens.

Taco*mom

I would too just keep soaking and gently let the water drip over his face, using your hand to drip the water. I love coir and never had a problem. Be sure to pat it down tight, that will help from it being spread all over.

My coir was very wet. Especially the first day. I boiled them before I put it my enclosure. I hand pressed those coir in hope it doesn't get too messy. But the nails of these babies are like rakes. One of them even burrow in it, makes it really covered with coir. Maybe the coir is too wet?

Taco*mom

Yeayy good news. Soaked those babies just now. I poured water gently on the one that has coir in its eyes. The coir in the right eye immediately came off and after 15minutes doing it (gave it a break a few times so it can breathe), the coir in the left eye also came off.

Thank you so much you guys! Thank you Fredkas for sending me a video how to pour the water!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy this product online:

eye ointment b.jpg

It will soothe the eye and might help clean it out.

Taco*mom

@Taco*mom

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Do you keep the the coir damp? By damp I mean do you tip water in and mix it up with your hands so it is evenly damp throughout? The coir should not be dry.

2. You say you were planning on introducing this tort to another. Are you aware that new tortoises should be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months to make sure that neither makes the other sick. On top of that Sulcatas don't do well as pairs. Bullying is common, especially in a smaller indoor enclosure. They're not social and don't get lonely and will be much happier and healthier apart.

EDIT
I have just reread your opening post and may have misunderstood what you were saying about keeping them together. Apologies if I got this wrong.

1. Please read my reply above to Wellington. I meant to reply it to you but instead combined them together.

2. I meant to say I was waiting to introduce these tortoises to the forum. They are kept separately from Taco. And I plan to quarantine for 6 months. Sorry for my poor explanation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can come at the head from over his back so he doesn't see you coming, then just drop it on the eye. The usually close the eye, but that's ok. Getting it on the lid is soothing too. Then they rub their eye and rub the ointment in.

Taco*mom

@Tom,

I searched of what Orchid Bark is made from, and one of the website says it's usually Fir Bark. I was able to find this Forest Bark sold online in my country. Please see attached picture. Do you think it's safe to use? Is it similar to your orchid bark? What about this cocohusk? I remember reading that you like it too.

Screenshot_2016-11-23-01-32-01.png

Taco*mom

Picture of the cocohusk. Couldn't get it to post earlier. Bad connection

Attachments

• 2016-11-23 08.12.28.png
    2016-11-23 08.12.28.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19