Coco coir gets into Albino sulcata hatchling's eyes. helpp

Taco*mom

You can come at the head from over his back so he doesn't see you coming, then just drop it on the eye. The usually close the eye, but that's ok. Getting it on the lid is soothing too. Then they rub their eye and rub the ointment in.
Got it! Thank you!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom,

I searched of what Orchid Bark is made from, and one of the website says it's usually Fir Bark. I was able to find this Forest Bark sold online in my country. Please see attached picture. Do you think it's safe to use? Is it similar to your orchid bark? What about this cocohusk? I remember reading that you like it too.

Orchid bark is fir bark. That one will work fine.

Taco*mom

Ever since the incidents mentioned above in this thread, I have swicthed from using coco coir to Fir Bark as substrate. After a few weeks, however, I noticed that it has some white powdery substance in it.. Not so obvious from the top, but quite visible from the side. Is that fungus or mold? I believed @Tom and @Yvonne G said that fir (orchid) bark doesn't mold.. could it be something else? Anyone? Is it dangerous for my torts or for my family?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481815819.360912.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481815838.493694.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The difference between "orchid bark" and "fir bark" is how clean it is. They're both made from the same tree product, however, because orchid plants are sensitive, the product sold as "orchid bark" has been sanitized.

My orchid bark doesn't look like your pictures.

orchid bark c.jpg

I buy the small grade (smaller pieces) and I've never seen that white growing on my bark. It does look like mold, doesn't it?

Taco*mom

Yvonne, that's what I was worried about. It's 1 am now and I have just moved them to a temporary enclosure. I hope they will be ok. I have been trying to post picture all day but I couldn't get it uploaded. I tried uploading pictures using TFO apps on android but it said I didn't have permission. Then I thought about installing the apps on iOs and it finally worked! Thank you for your reply.

Taco*mom

By the way, Before I used the bark, I poured some water and baked them for 2 hours in 270 degree celcius.

It was a bag of Forest Bark by Exoterra and a bag of Repti Bark by Zoomed. Two brands of the same thing. Same size of pieces and color. Both claims to be 100% fir bark and maintain humidity very well. It is hard to find them here where I live. Nobody sells orchid bark.

I really don't know what went wrong :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really don't know what went wrong :(

Nothing has gone wrong. The look like condensation in the first pic, but it looks like fungus in the second pic. If there is some organic matter, like poo or pee or food residue on the bark, fungus could try to get started. You can remove that handful, or just stir it up. I've been using O bark for decades on many many species, and it has never caused me any problems.

Taco*mom

Nothing has gone wrong. The look like condensation in the first pic, but it looks like fungus in the second pic. If there is some organic matter, like poo or pee or food residue on the bark, fungus could try to get started. You can remove that handful, or just stir it up. I've been using O bark for decades on many many species, and it has never caused me any problems.

It's weird because it looks that the fungus/mold, whatever that is, starts growing from the bottom. They are actually less on the surface, where food and poop usually are. I probably have to change again to coir now. The chance of finding orchid bark like yours and Yvonne is very slim. I even clean the enclosure twice a day as I soak the sulcatas. Speaking of which, can soaking them twice a day (40-45minutes each) make their plastron a bit soft? They were bought from a dry breeder and I am doing everything to turn things around. Their carapace are harder (though still slightly give in) than their plastron. But I can't shake the feeling that their plastron is softer than a lid of plastic butter container. They are about 2 months old. Is this normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the same o bark as you. I actually get it from many sources including what you've got there. The pet store stuff tends to be cleaner, but more expensive.

Soaking will not make the plastron softer. If it feels like flexible plastic, you are okay. If it starts feeling "spongy", then you have an issue.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Ok to make the picture more clear, and to enrich myself too of course, :D
1. Flexible plastic will bounce back directly?
2. By spongy, do you mean the plastron will slowly bounce back?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok to make the picture more clear, and to enrich myself too of course, :D
1. Flexible plastic will bounce back directly?
2. By spongy, do you mean the plastron will slowly bounce back?

Touch a plastic lid, then touch a sponge. Feel the difference? One is a little flexible, while the other is squishy.