Coco Chip pros and cons

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
I'm getting ready to move my girl into a much larger enclosure. I've used Repti Bark in the closed chamber I have her in now for a almost 2 years. It's very expensive, and would be needed in a huge amount in the new setup. I have no idea where to find it it bulk.

Would coco chip be a horrible option? It's much more affordable and looks pretty good. I just don't want to make a decision out of desire to save money that will be a detriment to the tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I think Reptibark is orchid bark, which is available in bulk at plant stores over there? Much cheaper? @Tom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
By the way, when I said "over there" I meant over there in the USA!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm getting ready to move my girl into a much larger enclosure. I've used Repti Bark in the closed chamber I have her in now for a almost 2 years. It's very expensive, and would be needed in a huge amount in the new setup. I have no idea where to find it it bulk.

Would coco chip be a horrible option? It's much more affordable and looks pretty good. I just don't want to make a decision out of desire to save money that will be a detriment to the tortoise.
Where are you?

I don't like coco chips for tortoises. Its harder for them to walk on and I worry about ingestion. I use coco chips for some of my snakes and lizards, but not for tortoises.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
Where are you?

I don't like coco chips for tortoises. Its harder for them to walk on and I worry about ingestion. I use coco chips for some of my snakes and lizards, but not for tortoises.
I am in Kentucky.