Pros and cons??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Hello
I am looking to get a tortoise. I live in Southern Florida and think the weather hear is quite suitable for a Salcuta. I have never owned a tortoise but I am very aware of the responsibility I am taking on and how large they can get. That is actually part of the appeal for me. Could you all please share some pros and cons of this species as a first time tortoise and a long term pet. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, JD.

Well the biggest "con" that I can see is the fact that some of them dig. They dig a burrow big enough for a full grown man to crawl into. They are hell on landscaping, and pretty obnoxious with lawn furniture, etc. They can't go around anything...they have to bulldoze through it. They walk right next to the house and knock off chunks of the stucco. They uproot your favorite rose bushes. They can get (not to say that they WILL get) aggressive towards people in their space, sometimes ramming your ankles.

But they are thoroughly enjoyable creatures. I love watching my sulcata. He's as friendly as a dog and comes right up to the fence when I have people over "taking the tour," expecting a treat.

If you have space for a 150lb bulldozer, go for it. You probably won't regret it.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Cons:
  • Size - As mentioned by others, this species gets large. It is not a species that is easily kept indoors when they reach adulthood. Heck, even when they're half-grown, they're larger than most other tortoise species! 150 lbs is "average." Few people keep these tortoise through their entire lives, so it not commonly known that they can routinely get significantly larger (and heavier) than this.
  • Longevity - Like nearly any tortoise, their longevity is comparable to large psittacines (50-70 yrs...maybe more?). Unless you got the tortoise as a hatchling while you yourself were a young child, there's a decent chance the tortoise will outlive you. So you will need to put this animal in your will, and likewise, make arrangements for its care after you pass on.
  • Digging - While yes, some have a more propensity for it than others, you still need to take the necessary precautions as if the adult tortoise will dig. In some ways, fortifying the enclosure for an adult sulcata is more work than it is for a goat, or horse, or cow. The hoof stock will recognize most traditional fences as a barrier and not "push" the issue, but a tortoise will just plow through until it meets a force stronger than itself!

Pros:
  • Personality - it is hard to find a tortoise species that matches the outgoing personality. Of course, there will be exceptions (my little sulcata is one!), but most grow to at least tolerate routine petting and handling, and are rarely shy.
  • Hardiness - Once you get past the somewhat tricky hatchling stage, and past that 1-year hump, sulcatas are fairly resilient tortoises. They can live and adapt to most outdoor climates, whether its dry Arizona or humid Florida. Once you get their environmental needs met, diet can be somewhat forgiving, too. I mean, these are grazers and browsers. They can eat mosts weeds and grass outside, and for most of the summer months, you are just supplementing their diet with produce.

You live in southern Florida: perfect place in the U.S. to keep most herps outdoors. You can probably keep one outdoors yearround if you have the space and set the pen up right.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I don't care what anyone says or what sulcatas do, or how destructive they get. All I know is I only have love for my sulcata

JD9981

5 Year Member
Thank you. I am debating between a Sulcata and a Redfoot. One concern I didn't mention is that I live in a neighborhood with few homes and lots of wildlife. Would there be any danger to a tortoise living outdoors from wild animals? Anything from raccoons to bobcats and a friend on the other side of town has a coyote in their area. I have never seen one around here but I do know of bobcats, snakes, etc. Thanks again!

I appreciate the heads up on the stucco. I will be sure and put a piece of plywood or something along the wall of the enclosure that will be against the house. My husband would have been pissed if I had learned that the hard way. Lol.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
You need to read Maggie3fan's Bob stories. It will give you an idea of what a sulcata tortoise will get like as it grows older. They are very funny to read but gives a realistic expectation of what is to come. I am sure that you will still come to the conclusion that you want one but at least it will prepare you for what to expect. Not all sulcatas are like her Bob but it is good reading and very educational.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
the quick cons are definitely their size as adults, the fact that they can burrow especially if their space is too small which is the other con. Otherwise they are great and have a ton of personality. If you Truly have the space for one of these great tortoises, I think the pro's out way the Con's.

Too me though the size is a Pro, the life span is also a pro if your kids fall in love.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
JD9981 said:
Thank you. I am debating between a Sulcata and a Redfoot. One concern I didn't mention is that I live in a neighborhood with few homes and lots of wildlife. Would there be any danger to a tortoise living outdoors from wild animals? Anything from raccoons to bobcats and a friend on the other side of town has a coyote in their area. I have never seen one around here but I do know of bobcats, snakes, etc. Thanks again!

Younger/smaller tortoises will be more of a target for predators. There are ways to protect him though, such as covering the pen with a chicken-wire lid. That would deter most cats, birds of prey, coyotes, etc. You can always bring him in at night if you are really concerned.

Once they hit the 20-lb mark, they're probably in the clear from most predators.

Snakes? The only snake that will eat baby turtles and tortoises is the eastern indigo snake, which is actually not that common and an endangered species. Still, even an 7-8 ft indigo wouldn't be able to eat anything larger than a 6-month old hatchling.

I have heard/read that cottonmouths will occasionally eat baby aquatic turtles, but have never seen conclusive evidence of this. Based on what I HAVE seen them eat, I wouldn't necessarily put it past them. But again, once your tortoise is past the 6-month mark and is over 5-7 inches long, it is probably off the menu of any snake. And snakes aren't going to bite tortoises out of defense. Many snakes actually den in gopher tortoise burrows and are used to being in somewhat close proximity to their very distant shelled cousins.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) I don't have a sulcata because of the burrowing, otherwise I would have. Go for it, if you have a large area.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Yes, I have enough room for probably a 12' x 14' enclosure if not larger. Will that keep him/her from burrowing. I understand no guarantee but it is a respectable size?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome! We have both species and they have done well in SW Florida!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Con: they dont hibernate, so need a heated shed in winter..

12x14 is small for a large adult. Most wont burrow if they have plenty of hides and a place to feel secure.

Pro: lots available thru rescue so you can get one for free.. usually.. I guess that can be a con too.. so many in rescues...

JD9981

5 Year Member
Ok. Thanks. I am looking in rescues and have one I am hoping pulls through with a 2/3 year old Sucata. How long should a 12x14 last for a tortoise that age?

Status
Not open for further replies.