Can a closed chamber be used as an incubator?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been reading about incubators for a Redfoot tortoise and the temperatures and humidity levels both are identical to what I have in my closed chamber housing that is currently not being used. Can a closed chamber , glass enclosure be used to hatch eggs?
I have a chicken egg incubator and in the past have had a difficult time keeping up the humidity.
I'm expecting eggs this summer and I'd like to be ready in advance.
Thanks.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would put a recording digital temperature/humidity gauge in the enclosure to see how uniform the range of humidity and temperature is within your enclosure.

I'm fairly sure someone has already tried this; maybe some of the breeder will chime in.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not experienced, but if it will hold constant temp and humidity, I do not see why not. My closed enclosures are definately not that stable. Let us know how it works if you go this route.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Just like everyone else, as long as it can maintain a proper temperature and humidity i dont see why not. What are you using for thermostat regulator, heating source and humidity gauge if you dont mind me asking.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Im actually building an a new incubator. My old incubator was a styrorfoam box, w/ a hydrofarm thermostat for heat regulator, 75 watt bulb for heat source.... Now im building another using the same hydrofarm thermostat and going to change the bulb to a heat tape for heat... instead of the styrofoam box, I bought a used wine fridge for $30!!!! in total im spending propbably bout $50 for my new incubator =)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you can. If the closed chamber is insulated, all the better.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I did this once. Lacked an incubator at the time, so I just stuck them in a big yogurt container filled with spaghnum moss and set it in the middle of the hatchling terrarium, near the lamp, about 84-86 degrees. Worked great.