Problem with closed chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
The temp in the closed chamber is getting too hot... I think. The night temp stays at 91F and when I turn the bulb on during the day it gets to about 93F. I know this is too hot, especially for the night temp. Any ideas on how I can fix this? I have the smallest wattage CHE. I am not "redoing" the closed chamber. Not even an option. Way too much time and money spent in it. I hoping someone has a easy fix for this.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Have you tried turning the CHE off and checked the temps without it?

kjr153

5 Year Member
Well I just opened the glass and it dropped down to 86F. I guess I could open the glass at night to lower the temp, but that will also lower the humidity. If I totally turn the CHE off I suppose it will drop down to the same as the house, 70F.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With summer time temps making your house temps warmer, there may be no need for any extra heating. Some lighting/heating usually has to be eliminated during summer months and added back in when fall cooler temps role in.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What exactly are your heat sources? If the temps are high, an easy fix is to eliminate one of the heat sources. It's a closed chamber so if you have the lights on during the day, most of that light's heat should stay inside throughout the night. A drop of 5 degrees from daytime temps to nighttime temps should be fine til the lights kick back on in the morning.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I have my CHE on a zoomed thermostat. I set it and once dialed in,(80f) I don't worry about it as I know it will only come on when needed. I like automatic, I think it more reliable. I have a digital prob as well at the thermostats prob so I can check the actual temp.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Cowboy_Ken said:
I have my CHE on a zoomed thermostat. I set it and once dialed in,(80f) I don't worry about it as I know it will only come on when needed. I like automatic, I think it more reliable. I have a digital prob as well at the thermostats prob so I can check the actual temp.

Ditto. All my lights are on timers and all other heat sources are on thermostats. My enclosure takes care of itself and I just take care of the torts :D

kjr153

5 Year Member
I guess I'll have to invest in one of those. I don't want to bake the little fella.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Lights on timer as well. This helps with environmental consistency, and allows for regular habits of your tortoise. My most recent closed chamber is too good as well. I went with a dual pane window and now the daytime temps are such that I need to keep the window open 1/4" daytime because the 100 watt MVB heats it too well. The CHE never comes on during the day.

Something along these lines;

http://bit.ly/15b6GuC

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Like said already, use a timer and a thermostat!

If you set your CHE on a thermostat for 80F you'll never need to worry about temps being too low or too high.. It may only click on a few times for short periods of time during the summer.
Your basking bulb can be a lower wattage now too.

I used to use a 75 watt bulb during summer for basking. In the closed chamber I only need a60 watt now..

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my 4x8' closed chambers, I use a 65 watt flood for basking. Anything more just heats it up too much. My CHEs are on a thermostat and they hardly ever come on, but its nice when they do.

There's no way you could just leave a CHE on all the time in a closed chamber. Gotta have a thermostat. They only cost about $25-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.