Climate change??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if this applies to all reptiles.. So thought I would post here and get people's opinion.. I know in snakes and lizards the higher temps created accelerated growth( they ate more and metabolized quicker).. Does the same apply to tortoises?? I have been really surprised with the amount off food these guys are consuming lately not to mention the copious amounts of feces....

I went from 70-80 summer temps in Boston to a steady 80 degrees (now)in the shade here in Fla.. There house( shed is always in the mid to high 80 during the day)..They seem
To prefer to go In there a few times a day and do ther buisness...

I have seen these guys do there business before and have two 140lbs Rottweilers and am not easy to surprise but if I didn't know better I would think a bear got into there shed and defecated?

Thought opinions..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would imagine it to make perfect sense....warm all of the time--I wonder if you find that they are more active now in that geographic location than before and if so then they are likely going to be more active year round vs during only parts of the year....so constant heat and activity would make perfect sense for their systems to be working in over drive...lol....

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ascott.. They are eating more but they are not really anymore active....The female Tina eats for a few hours voraciously and by 1pm she is in her hide for the day..same with Tiny.. (same schedule as up north)Tony spends the entire day eating.. Today he fell asleep with a mouthful of grass in the middle of the yard..

Status
Not open for further replies.