Choosing a species

Yurtle

5 Year Member
Hi I'm intrested in adding a medium to larger species of tortiose to my collection. I live in va where the summer temps are in the 80°s with nighttime temps in the 60°s and humidity ranges between 50% to 80% most of the time, but I would have to take the tortiose inside during the winter.

With this said some species I'm considering is Redfoots, leopard tortioses and Burmese mountain tortioses. Which one of these would fair best in this environment? Are there any other species that you would reccomend?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Any of those would be fine. You can have any kind of tortoise you want. You just have to learn what it takes to help it thrive, and provide that.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I guess it depends on how you would define medium to large. For your temperature and humidity a marginated tortoise may also be a good choice . They would be experiencing temps in the 80s and 90s in the day and in the 50-60s at night in the wild in the summers in the Mediterranean . That also like humidity in the 60-80 % they get to be around 12-15 inches fully grown which I guess would be a medium ish tortoise size.
Like Yvonne said you can really have any type of tortoise you want . as long as you do your research you can have it work out just fine. That being said things can also be easier as opposed to harder. Like if your natural humidity and temperature mirrors that where a tort is found naturally.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Is there any type of fort hat you're really leaning for? Looks like you got some options.

Yurtle

5 Year Member
Is there any type of fort hat you're really leaning for? Looks like you got some options.
I'm leaning more towards a red foot or possibly a yellow foot, can anyone tell me what the personality on yellow foots is like?