New - Advice Choosing a Species

lightningrob

Location (City and/or State)
Sunnyvale, CA
Redfoots have great personalities, don't brumate, and do great in Florida.
Agree. Our redfoot is amazing, very social and eats snails and weeds too! We wish we had a more humid environment for him (we live in SF bay area) and Florida is perfect for them.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
I think I’m decided on going for a leopard tortoise Breeder recommendations appreciated!
Keep in mind that leopards can get quite large....although not as large as sulcatas. If size is an issue, a Redfoot might be a better choice. Here are a couple of pics of my 7 year old leopard, Clyde....one with my 9 pound chihuahua for size comparison. Clyde weighs about 22 pounds at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_174407.jpg
    IMG_20190821_174407.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190821_174652.jpg
    IMG_20190821_174652.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Regular leopards tend to be shy. However, regular leopards tend to be mixes, so not all of them are shy. South African leopards are a lot less shy in general and get a little bit bigger. They would do fine outdoors year round in your climate with a heated night box. Neither type of leopard get large and destructive like a sulcata. Given your personality requirements, I would skip the leopards unless you want to get a South African. Let's see if we can get @Jenna kamenski to share here experiences with her SA leopard, "Torque".

Sulcatas have great personalities, but they do get huge and destructive. I can understand why you've decided against that species, and I applaud your decision, even though I think the species is wonderful.

Eastern Hermann tortoises are gorgeous, tend to be personable, and I think they'd do fine in your climate too. You don't have to hibernate them, but you can if you want to. Their smaller size makes them much easier to house, feed and care for. This would be a great choice.

All things considered, I think a redfoot meets all of your criteria the best. I rate them a close second to sulcatas in personality, but many people like their personality even better than sulcatas. They are up year round and thrive with high humidity. Easy to feed. Not too large or destructive. Like all tortoises, they will need a heated box for winter, but as adults, they can love outside full time where you are.

Good luck choosing! :)
I just acquired an adult male leopard today from a local gentleman who was recently diagnosed with cancer and can no longer care for him properly. Other than the obvious pyramiding, he appears to be in good health...eating, pooping, alert, etc. He is 7 years old and weighs about 22 pounds. He is very tame...and actually follows me around like a puppy....The man told me that he got him as a hatchling and has raised him primarily indoors for the past 7 years. He was free roaming in the house and had a small room with his hide area and food/water, etc. He was taken outside a couple of times a week for exercise, etc....Any opinions on what type of leopard he is? I am honestly not completely familiar with them, and someone mentioned that there are different types. I assume the care is basically the same for the different types, but I want to make sure I am doing the right things for him.

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_174412.jpg
    IMG_20190821_174412.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190821_174652.jpg
    IMG_20190821_174652.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190821_175642.jpg
    IMG_20190821_175642.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190821_174639.jpg
    IMG_20190821_174639.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
I just acquired an adult male leopard today from a local gentleman who was recently diagnosed with cancer and can no longer care for him properly. Other than the obvious pyramiding, he appears to be in good health...eating, pooping, alert, etc. He is 7 years old and weighs about 22 pounds. He is very tame...and actually follows me around like a puppy....The man told me that he got him as a hatchling and has raised him primarily indoors for the past 7 years. He was free roaming in the house and had a small room with his hide area and food/water, etc. He was taken outside a couple of times a week for exercise, etc....Any opinions on what type of leopard he is? I am honestly not completely familiar with them, and someone mentioned that there are different types. I assume the care is basically the same for the different types, but I want to make sure I am doing the right things for him.
@Tom what do you think?