Need help choosing a suitable species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I would like to research into getting a tortoise however I know absolutly nothing about them. So firstly, I am trying to choose some suitable species for me which aren't too difficult to find :)

The enclosure I will keep the tortoise in will be open top, approximately 120cm/47" long and 35cm/14" wide, so the area of the enclosure would be 4200cm/658" squared.
One end of the enclosure will have a heat lamp over it, the opposite end will have a covered area for shade. This is going to be an indoor enclosure which the tortoise will spend quite a lot of time, however in the summer the tortoise will spend the day outside and just be brought into the enclosure for night time.

I am looking for a species which won't get too big for this enclosure to meet it's needs and preferably a common+ hardier species which is suitable for a beginner :)

Thanks a lot,
Ben.

Snapper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Hello!
Russians, Greeks and Hermann's stay smaller, and are a good choice for beginners. That is great you are researching first!

wildponey21

5 Year Member
You will need a uvb light. Like other have said Russians, Greeks and Hermann's. I star torts dont get big but they can coast 1,500. just keep doing the research. You can go to kingsnake.com that will help you.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, I will do some research into those species :D any other suggestions and further information are welcome :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A large part of the decision should be based upon your climate, in my opinion. I live in the high desert, so I tend to pick species that will do well with a hot dry climate and mild winters.

Where do you live Ben?

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,
I live in the UK so out side temperatures only reach above 75F in the summer months, about 3 months a year, so the species would have to be comfortable in the indoor enclosure for quite a while, ofcourse it would be allowed out to have a roam around a specific area of the house on occasion :)

I have done some research, and from the species suggested I would like to keep a greek tortoise as these seem to fit what I would like :) So any info would be greatly appreciated and I will start another thread in a relevant area of the forum :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

I think that Greeks and Hermanns are fairly easy to come by in the U.K. And Russian tortoises are very hardy little animals.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks emy, I am certainly going for a greek as I know these are very common in the UK :)

Status
Not open for further replies.