Chirping/clucking redfoot female

porter

10 Year Member!
Hi all,

During my daily check on my group, one of my females walked towards me chirping/clucking. As soon as I gave her a bit of Mazuri it stop but when I offered one of the other torts some she started up again. The noise is pretty similar to that of the male when he’s mating. I know it’s on purpose as I’ve snuck in the garage with her spotting me and she’s silent, until I stood up and she started again. Has anyone else had this with a female redfoot? She’s the only one out the group that does it. See dory the chirper/clucker below

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 28

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi all,

During my daily check on my group, one of my females walked towards me chirping/clucking. As soon as I gave her a bit of Mazuri it stop but when I offered one of the other torts some she started up again. The noise is pretty similar to that of the male when he’s mating. I know it’s on purpose as I’ve snuck in the garage with her spotting me and she’s silent, until I stood up and she started again. Has anyone else had this with a female redfoot? She’s the only one out the group that does it. See dory the chirper/clucker below

Discounting the possibility that gender has been misidentified in this case, females are known to mount other females and mimic male courtship behavior including vocalizations, which are often characterized as 'clucking'. This is a form of natural dominance behavior as individuals jockey for status in the group. Both males and females will sometimes display this behavior to keepers or other interlopers in their territories and enclosures. In Dory's case probably competition for food.

porter

10 Year Member!
Definitely a female as she’s one of my egg layers. She must of just found her voice (probably since the Mazuri was delivered) thanks for the info domalle