Suggestions and feedback please.

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
This is for my male RT. 4'x6' enclosure with a mix of coir and organic soil (sorry can't remember the brand- no poo!) so far there is a butternut squash, collards, gazanias, and moss. I haven't put his water dish and hide in there yet.

I will be adding a top to keep predators out.

Suggestions welcomed!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404160637.092397.jpg

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Toradise, his hide wasn't out yet because it was still inside with him. Doesn't matter because he just dug under the geranium for 5 hours. Did I just get a lazy tort or will it take time to adjust? He's the same way indoors...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Does take time for them to feel safe. I would plant more in there for him to hide under & provide additional shade. Hostas can be transplanted if you have any. Or small bushes. Looks great otherwise!

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Cover one end so there is always a place to get out of the sun. A hide that is never exposed to the sun is also a good thing.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404325641.366855.jpg

The final product (with a little fine tuning left)! One end is always in the shade and his 2 hides are now in there as well. He spent the night out there last night and I bribed him out of his hole with some mazuri.

sbwalker5

Sheffield, UK
Great enclosure @tortnmutt - this is exactly the sort of thing I'm wanting to achieve for my yearling Marginated, Douglas!
May I ask how you put together this enclosure? What materials have you used, etc.. Woule be really helpful!
Thanks

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like it. Very, very nice. I built a similar one for my hermanni's.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Great enclosure @tortnmutt - this is exactly the sort of thing I'm wanting to achieve for my yearling Marginated, Douglas!
May I ask how you put together this enclosure? What materials have you used, etc.. Woule be really helpful!
Thanks

It's just 2"x12" boards (with a few layers of polyurethane for weathering) however big you want the enclosure. I stapled rabbit fencing (similar to chicken wire) to one side then flipped it over as the bottom to prevent him from burrowing out. I used 2"x4" for the lid which made it really heavy but we have bears here so I wanted something sturdier.

Woman power did that!!! Super proud of myself. Didn't have any help which made it challenging when you just needed an extra hand, but got creative...

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
How does your tort stay warm at night in that enclosure? Is there a heat source? Otherwise, everything looks great!

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
How does your tort stay warm at night in that enclosure? Is there a heat source? Otherwise, everything looks great!

He does what he would do in nature... Digs himself a hole. In the winter I'll put a hard top on half to keep the lovely WA rain off, and a light inside to keep him warmer.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If your torts want to stay warm they can do what mine did .they moved to AZ now all they cry for is cable TV and AC and a cold Bud ! Have a great tort day ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum