Cheating on Echo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
I do have to say I love my little Echo (hatchling Leo Tort) But I have been checking out random youtube videos and came across a channel called SnakeBytesTv. They have over 200 videos about snakes, and all this silly stuff. I have to say I really used to hate snakes, I thought they were mean and I didn't understand why anyone would ever want to have a snake. But when I came across Ball Python morphs I thought they were F****** brilliant looking. I was in awe, and the more I watched, the more I learned that not all snakes are evil biting machines, most are pretty tame. So .... tonight I am buying this 2013 female Pastel ball python. I wanted a morph, but couldn't afford a bumblebee like I wanted, so I went with something cheaper, but that really made colors pop. Pastel really enhances the colors and when I saw this girl I thought she was a beauty! Names anyone? :p
935228_10151644227971495_149243474_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Just keep tort and snake apart ;) id hate anything to happen to Echo. I'm not very keen on snakes so I don't see the appeal. But I hope you enjoy having one! :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice these are my pythons and a red tail.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1371512516912.jpg
    1371512516912.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 1371512534391.jpg
    1371512534391.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 63

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
LeopardTortLover said:
Just keep tort and snake apart ;) id hate anything to happen to Echo. I'm not very keen on snakes so I don't see the appeal. But I hope you enjoy having one! :)

Thats totally fine :) I used to not see the appeal either, Snakes are kind of creepy. But I want to take on the task and add a smallish breed into my pet collection. I only have my puppy Annabelle and Echo. Trust me when the snake is out Echo will be far away, along with my dogs :p I think she is a pretty snake but I'm not going to trust her around my other critters :D

mike taylor said:

oh wow, I love them all. The boa is very pretty! :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Cheating on Echo..

EchoTheLeoTort said:
LeopardTortLover said:

Thats totally fine :) I used to not see the appeal either, Snakes are kind of creepy. But I want to take on the task and add a smallish breed into my pet collection. I only have my puppy Annabelle and Echo. Trust me when the snake is out Echo will be far away, along with my dogs :p I think she is a pretty snake but I'm not going to trust her around my other critters :D

mike taylor said:

Thanks the boa is five feet ,the bigger ball python is four foot and I've had him for 16 years and he's going strong. Good luck with your new ball python they are a very cool snake just don't feed them in there enclosure they will become cage aggressive.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
mike taylor said:
EchoTheLeoTort said:
LeopardTortLover said:

mike taylor said:

Thanks the boa is five feet ,the bigger ball python is four foot and I've had him for 16 years and he's going strong. Good luck with your new ball python they are a very cool snake just don't feed them in there enclosure they will become cage aggressive.

oh wow! glad its going strong! Kind of nervous for her arrival on Thursday, I've never handled snakes except a corn snake awhile ago. The breeder runs a small kind of business, so he doesn't have hundreds of snakes. But I was talking to him about wanting to get a cheaper morph but one that is docile and not overly nippy and he said she is very relaxed and laid back and has a great feeding response. I'm not sure if I should switch her to frozen thawed but he said so far she's been feeding on live mice. I know you have to watch closely so the mouse or rat doesn't injure the snake, so I'm debating whether to switch. I hope I take care of her right, I get her tamed eventually, and she eats good!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I like to feed live mice. You have to feed them in a different cage so that when you do to pick them up out of there cage they don't see your warm hand as food. Get you a small snake stick to remove your snake from his cage that way he knows your coming and don't try to bite .

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Congrats! Snakes are wonderful animals. I have 9 at the moment. As far as your dogs are concerned, I'd be far more concerned about them harming the snake than a little ball python posing any threat! ;)

The "feeding in cage causes aggression" thing is a myth, BTW. Of the dozens of snakes I have owned and/or cared for, all have been fed in cage and the only ones that ever tried to bite are/were the ones that are naturally predisposed to being hyperdefensive. To be honest, all feeding in a separate tub does is stress the snake out (a real concern with balls) and open you up to more opportunities to be bitten.

The one legitimate argument I have heard for feeding out of cage is the fear of substrate ingestion. This can be avoided by offering iver a paper plate, drying wet food items, and/or simply monitoring to be sure nothing sticks to the mouse.

I prefer to feed frozen/thaw or at least prekilled for the safety of the snake... Especially as your little one will eventually need to eat rats, which can do serious damage if given the opportunity. (It is also SO much easier to just keep the freezer stocked than to constantly have to hope the pet store actually has the size you need this week!) It's easier to switch a snake while it's still young than trying when it is an adult and set in its ways. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I prefer to feed frozen/thawed as well. Safer and more humane for both predator and prey. I used to keep snakes because I think they are fascinating and beautiful animals. Not to witness live feeding.

Anyway, congrats on your ball python. They are great and gentle snakes. And trust me, they are no danger to your dogs and other pets. Unless your other pets are rodents.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Congrats on joining the snake world. I was the opposite: I kept snakes for 20 yrs and then branched out into tortoises! Both are awesome groups of reptiles that appeal to me in different ways, but I love them equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.