Chameleons

klinej50

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio Texas
stinax182 said:
my first ever experience with chameleons was rehabilitating a male veiled back to health. feeding was tedious; until i discovered the feeding cup :D use a wire to tie a cup to a branch and put the food in! they don't usually go to the bottom of the enclosure so keep it in his branches. also, get a plastic tub (like for butter) and poke tiny holes in the bottom. put a little bit of water in it then place it on the screen top of the enclosure....it's best if it drips on some leaves because that is the only way they drink (mimmick rain) these are the two things that saved my cham.

IMG_20130419_195209_zpscffc7718.jpg

IMG_20131110_191417_113_zps4030f831.jpg
metal screen cage 4'x2'x2' with the the sides wrapped in plastic.

IMG_20131110_191431_114_zps599d5290.jpg
two feeding cups and live and fake plants to hide in.

IMG_20130323_191920_741_zps3084a4d8.jpg
he has a pretty sweet free range tree as well :)

Your Cham is very pretty. I'm trying the free range feeding right now he is getting fed crickets but they are gut loaded. I'm going to the reptile store this week to get some roaches which I'm extremely scared of so idk how well that's going to work

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i was hesitant on roaches as well but honestly, they're not that bad. they don't bite or smell, they eat anything, they can't fly or climb glass/plastic, require little care and are so much better for our pets than crickets. and sometimes, when they fall on their backs, they can't flip over and it's kinda cute....like a tortoise :p

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Oh god I don't think I will ever be able to touch them... I have crickets in a big tub right now and I just put a cup in there and go back 10 min later and take it out to feed the chams. The thought of bugs in my house just makes me itch[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
really cool. my girlfriend fell in love with chams and cresties when i took her to the reptile show in november. for the time-being im keeping and breeding cresties, but when i get the chance im going to pick up a jacksons chameleon (my favorite, i love the horns). possibly in february at the next show.