ceramic heater

Clawem

I am thinking of making a hide like the one Tom has and I was wondering about heating it. I saw in the store today a ceramic heater with a thermostat all ready built into it and it also oscillates if you want it too. It had a high and low setting if you wanted to bypass the thermostat. I thought with some type of bowl with water it would keep the humidity up. I saw what Tom is using but I was wondering if anyone has tried this type of heater and what they thought. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is it one of those little square space heaters? I don't think that would be very safe. Can we see a picture.

Clawem

Like this one
Heaters : Space Heaters : Desktop Heaters : CZ446 Comfort Zone® Deluxe Oscillating Small Ceramic Fan Heater
CZ446 Comfort Zone® Deluxe Oscillating Small Ceramic Fan Heater

Reg. $34.99
SALE $29.99
Save 14%

Description: This Deluxe Oscillating Ceramic Fan Heater from Comfort Zone is a compact, personal-sized, and contemporary looking unit. It comes with plastic body, steel grill, and ceramic element design. Also features Adjustable Thermostat, Noiseless Oscillating Operation, and 3 heat settings. A safety tip-over switch provides the added protection.

Features:
Fan forced
Adjustable Thermostat
Noiseless Oscillating Operation
3 settings include fan only, high heat, and low heat
Safety Tip-Over Switch
ETL Listed

Specifications:
750/1300 Watts
Product Size: 12.5" x 8.5" x 7.25"
Weight: 4.3 lbs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think that would work, however, you would have to take more caution to keep it safe from hay, etc getting in it or near it. If it works like I think, it will get fire red and the heating element is not completely enclosed off from danger of items getting in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, it will probably be more drying then the ones like Tom uses. The fan part will help dry things out faster and will be harder to keep humidity up. Have you thought about a pig blanket or a reptile radiant heat panel used mostly by snake breeders? For the hide part last winter I used both pig blanket and radiant panel and a space heater like Tom uses for the rest of the shed area. Then I still gave a mvb for basking.

Clawem

I just want to use it for the summer if the temps go below 80 and they will be inside for now during the winter until they get too big. I was thinking of puting it on a shelf with a bowl of water in front of it for humidity and also to keep it away from any bedding, I have used these before in a camper and they dont seem to get red hot like I have seen with other heaters.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It will work . I have one just like that one in my redfooted enclosure . Works fine but you need an external thermostat . The one thats made into the unit is a rheostat . I installed it on a shelf and screewed it down with straps . The fan moves the heat down to the tortoises . In a smaller night box they work great .

Clawem

Thanks for everyones help I just did not want to do the wrong thing.