Ceramic Heat Emitters

Brylee

5 Year Member
So I'm planning on building a 4×8' for my 2 leopards... I plan on having a florescent tube lights on each end along with an additional UVB light with a basking light. I want to put one CHE in but I'm not too sure on the specifics. Should I get two? What wattage would be best? It'll probably be 12 inches high. Any advice is much appreciated!!

Brylee

5 Year Member
Here is a rough sketch of my initial idea. I have a few other ideas and just basically can't make up my mind.

Attachments

• 1419975659682.jpg
    1419975659682.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
Why so many lights?
All you need are a UVB/A tube light, and a heat source. I use a small CHE controlled with a thermostat and my temps are always perfect. I think 100 watt CHE would be sufficient but make sure you have it controlled by a thermostat or rheostat.

Brylee

5 Year Member
I worry that the CHE won't heat everything. The room is cold

Brylee

5 Year Member
I'll have a florescent tube for sure on opposite end as basking area. Basking area will have more direct uvb light.
I was considering getting another florescent just to lighter up basking side. Nothing is set yet though. Just ideas.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You will need a closed enclosure to maintain heat and humidity properly for leopards. If you run enough lights and CHE in an open enclosure in a cold room, you will not only have a huge electric bill, but will dry them and have very pyramided torts.

Brylee

5 Year Member
You will need a closed enclosure to maintain heat and humidity properly for leopards. If you run enough lights and CHE in an open enclosure in a cold room, you will not only have a huge electric bill, but will dry them and have very pyramided torts.
When I first got them, info said high sides were bad and all that. So my question, to keep it closed, is something like this good or bad?

Attachments

• 1420078711480.jpg
    1420078711480.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 25

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Closed is better, will be way more efficient and will be way easier to keep consistent. I you make it a closed chamber you'll need to raise the sides so you can have your lights and heaters inside the chamber.

I like that table picture you posted, it just needs to be bigger.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

Brylee

5 Year Member
I have cypress mulch. This is the design I am looking at for a 4×8' for when we re-do our living room.