Lighting, stimulation , and general advice seeking

Emullennn

Location (City and/or State)
Wallingford, CT
510DBAF5-E9B4-417B-80CB-007F635A197D.jpeg1BAA2948-DAF8-4148-A72E-D5E28DAADE8B.jpegE9F87E05-5826-4E3C-A75C-3E06B801F17F.jpeg
We are almost ?? finished building this 24 square foot indoor home for our ~16 ish year old rescue red foot, based heavily on a beautiful design I found on the tortoise forum. Currently working with plug in thermometers to set different ceramic heat emitters to different temperatures each end as appropriate, and have an additional 18 inch reptisun UVB hood on order so he’ll have more evenly lit UVB than just one 18 inch bulb in an 8 foot long box.
I’m looking for advice on how folks hang their overhead UVB lights in closed chambers! We have adjustable shelves across the top to suspend the lights from but cannot find a way to safely suspend them. Also not sure how to hang the heat lights. Any advice??

also looking for enrichment ideas for all this space, and any other advice! We live in New England so outdoor time is not an option in this 30 degree weather.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
View attachment 312652View attachment 312653View attachment 312654
We are almost ?? finished building this 24 square foot indoor home for our ~16 ish year old rescue red foot, based heavily on a beautiful design I found on the tortoise forum. Currently working with plug in thermometers to set different ceramic heat emitters to different temperatures each end as appropriate, and have an additional 18 inch reptisun UVB hood on order so he’ll have more evenly lit UVB than just one 18 inch bulb in an 8 foot long box.
I’m looking for advice on how folks hang their overhead UVB lights in closed chambers! We have adjustable shelves across the top to suspend the lights from but cannot find a way to safely suspend them. Also not sure how to hang the heat lights. Any advice??

also looking for enrichment ideas for all this space, and any other advice! We live in New England so outdoor time is not an option in this 30 degree weather.
It looks FABULOUS!! Well done!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Keep in mind that redfoots live under dense forest canopy, where light is dappled and fairly dim. With bright lights, your tort will be stressed. Only run your UVB for 2-3 hours midday each day. Use dim lighting to illuminate the enclosure all day. Since redfoot don't bask, use CHE's or an RHP for heating.

For enrichment, since RF tend to be shy, plants, half logs, and flower pots are good. They need lots of hiding places. Using real plants also helps a lot to keep humidity up.

The UV fixture in your pics looks like it's upside down. Am I seeing it wrong? Or is it just sitting there?

For hanging, I think I see white supports coming down in the back, under the lid. If you could attach cross beams (like you have done in the pics), to those, and bring them to the front. I know they would be on a slant, but it wouldn't matter. Then use large cup hooks on the underneath to secure your electric cords to. You could span 2 cross pieces for the UV fixture. Attach 2 pieces of lightweight chain to the fixture, and 2 cuphooks on the cross boards. The slant provides a choice of placements so you can mount it at the proper height from the substrate.

Emullennn

Wallingford, CT
Keep in mind that redfoots live under dense forest canopy, where light is dappled and fairly dim. With bright lights, your tort will be stressed. Only run your UVB for 2-3 hours midday each day. Use dim lighting to illuminate the enclosure all day. Since redfoot don't bask, use CHE's or an RHP for heating.

For enrichment, since RF tend to be shy, plants, half logs, and flower pots are good. They need lots of hiding places. Using real plants also helps a lot to keep humidity up.

The UV fixture in your pics looks like it's upside down. Am I seeing it wrong? Or is it just sitting there?

For hanging, I think I see white supports coming down in the back, under the lid. If you could attach cross beams (like you have done in the pics), to those, and bring them to the front. I know they would be on a slant, but it wouldn't matter. Then use large cup hooks on the underneath to secure your electric cords to. You could span 2 cross pieces for the UV fixture. Attach 2 pieces of lightweight chain to the fixture, and 2 cuphooks on the cross boards. The slant provides a choice of placements so you can mount it at the proper height from the substrate.

thank you for the advice!! I definitely would not have thought of that.UVB was just sitting there until it was mounted :) taking note of all your advice. Would you still suggest a second UVB light for those 2-3 hours or stick with one?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm not the best one to ask about UVB lights because I don't really have any experience with them. What I can say is Redfoots can get by with a lot less UVB than some other species. I think you'd be fine with just the one light.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm not the best one to ask about UVB lights because I don't really have any experience with them. What I can say is Redfoots can get by with a lot less UVB than some other species. I think you'd be fine with just the one light.
That's exactly what we wanted to hear! Thank you!