CDT's . . . They're Out!

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
Two of our four California Desert Tortoises emerged from hibernation this morning to sun themselves for the first time since early November. They're our grand old female, who has been in our family since 1970 and one of her progeny who hatched out in 1984. Our other two juvenile females are still enjoying their beauty sleep for a while longer. Our temperatures here in the high desert of Southern California have been in the upper 70's to mid 80's for about a week or so now with lows around 50 degrees. This emergence in early February coincides with their awakening of past years. I don't offer them food at this point as temperatures may well fall to the point where they will re-enter their sleep. I don't want food to be in their digestive systems and possibly ferment. There is natural food available in their habitat, but in past years they've had enough innate sense to "eschew" (pun intended, sorry) this. I am offering them water from their favorite watering hole. They may, or may not drink at this time from past experience. Anyway, we're excited that Spring is upon is, regardless of what the groundhog says. We'll keep watching for our two younger ladies to see how they are doing. They all dig down so far that it would be quite the challenge to excavate them. Nature will occur in it's own time as it has for a million years. Have any other keepers of CDT's seen their torts come out as yet? This time of year is always exciting, with flowers soon to come, only to be quickly devoured, just as they should be.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Spring in February? OK then. Love to see some pictures of your torts as they start their "New Year" naturally.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Spring in February? OK then. Love to see some pictures of your torts as they start their "New Year" naturally.
OK, Tammy. . . I'll get some pictures posted once they become more active. Thanks, Orv

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Orv!!

I told myself to open my guy's door today, and now I'm realizing I didn't do it. Oh well, tomorrow's another day!