Peek - A - Boo Cave

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
Our two California Desert Tortoises are quietly sleeping the current cool weather days away in their cozy cave. The entrance is covered in part with concrete block (just as it is all year long) as well as a heavy sheet of canvas. My question concerns whether or not there should be a small area left uncovered for them to know their way out. They use this entry/exit all year long except that it's left uncovered during their active times. I want them to know that they are welcome to come out on warm days for a stretch and a drink. We are located in the somewhat high desert area of Aguanga, CA. Some of our days may approach the low 80's in temperature. Your advice will be valued. Thanks, Orvil Hazelton

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
The headline for the above post should have read "Peek-A-Boo Cave" vice the above. I simply couldn't figure out how to edit the headline feature. Sorry, Orvil

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can put some leaves in front of the part that they push to get out. That will help insulate it. If they want to come out, they will push against the leaves.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Not 100% on CA, but the Tortoise Group has some info about burrows on their website … They even have this brief video …

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Unfortunately I haven't been able to view your video link. It looks as if it might be most interesting. . . perhaps someone can give me some guidance. Thanks, Orvil