CDT hibernation and Dogloos

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerberwoman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thousand Oaks, California
I am assuming my two CDT will want to hibernate, this will be my first experience doing this, but certainly not theirs as they are estimated to be at least 50 years old.
They are very fond of the 'dogloos' in their habitat, both igloos are 'small' and this is where they go at the end of the day, usually together. I am wondering if anyone hibernates their CDT's in dogloos. I could easily bring the dogloos into the garage (no cars) and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. I would need to fill the dogloos with bedding, I assume. I would need to secure the opening of each dogloo which might be the part that puts this idea to rest. Or perhaps I should only do the 'Box within a box' method and wait for my local CTTC chapter helper to teach me and show me when the time comes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, with the city that you live in you may be able to get away with the dogloo relocation into the garage and add something to the opening to keep them put---and other things out :D I would absolutely plan to use either newspaper or 100% cotton towels...please also know that there is more to brumation than the location ( I mean this in all sincerity )...you will need to plan a cut off day for any additional food offerings (as they need at least 3-4 weeks of no supplemental food) and they need to be well hydrated by this time and if not then they should not be set for brumation.....what did they do the prior years during winter months? This will help you to decide what way and method to use in preparing them for brumation and to assure you have set them up in the best fashion for a successful brumation....:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The dog igloos are designed to trap heat and there fore are not a good choice for hibernation, especially the insulated ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the wild they hibernate in deep burrows where temps are very stable and cold all winter long. Even if there is a warm 80 degree day in January it still stays cold deep underground. Above ground in an igloo or anything else, the temps fluctuate a lot even over the course of one 24 hour period. Wildly fluctuating temps are a bad thing for a tortoise whose trying to hibernate.

If you have a contact with CTTC who can show you what to do before during and after hibernation, that is fantastic. I would take advantage of that offer. If not, we can help you through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.